No subject

Bert Kappen bert at mbfys.kun.nl
Tue Mar 28 04:44:35 EST 1995

Subject: Publication announcement

FTP-host: galba.mbfys.kun.nl
FTP-file: pub/reports/Kappen.RBBM.ps.Z

Radial Basis Boltzmann Machines and learning with missing values (4 pages)
Hilbert J. Kappen, Marcel J. Nijman
RWCP Novel Function SNN Laboratory
Dept. of Medical Physics and Biophysics, University of Nijmegen
Geert Grooteplein 21, NL 6525 EZ Nijmegen, The Netherlands

ABSTRACT:
A Radial Basis Boltzmann Machine (RBBM) is a specialized Boltzmann Machine
architecture that combines feed-forward mapping with probability estimation
in the input space, and for which very fast learning rules exist.
The hidden representation of the network displays symmetry breaking as a
function of the noise in the Glauber dynamics. Thus generalization can be
studied as a function of the noise in the neuron dynamics instead of as a
function of the number of hidden units. For the special case of unsupervised
learning, we show that this method is an elegant alternative of $k$ nearest
neighbor, leading to comparable performance without the need to store all
data.  We show that the RBBM has good classification performance compared
to the MLP.  The main advantage of the RBBM is that simultaneously with the
input-output mapping, a model of the input space is obtained which
can be used for learning with missing values.  We show that the RBBM
compares favorably to the MLP for large percentages of missing values.