Paper available: Navigating with Landmarks

David_Redish@GS151.SP.CS.CMU.EDU David_Redish at GS151.SP.CS.CMU.EDU
Sat Mar 18 12:13:05 EST 1995

The following paper is now available electronically (via the Web)

	"Navigating with Landmarks:
	Computing Goal Locations from Place Codes"

	A. David Redish and David S. Touretzky
	Carnegie Mellon University

	to appear in _Symbolic Visual Learning_,
	K. Ikeuchi and M. Veloso, eds.,
	Oxford University Press.

A computer model of rodent navigation, based on coupled mechanisms for
place recognition, path integration, and maintenance of head
direction, offers a way to operationally combine constraints from
neurophysiology and behavioral observation.  We describe how one such
model reproduces a variety of experiments by Collett, Cartwright, and
Smith (J. Comp Phys. A 158:835-851) in which gerbils learn to find a
hidden food reward, guided by an array of visual landmarks in an open
arena.  We also describe some neurophysiological predictions of the
model; these may soon be verified experimentally.  Portions of the
model have been implemented on a mobile robot.

gzipped:
	http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001/Web/People/dredish/pub/vislearn-web.ps.gz
unix compressed:
	http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001/Web/People/dredish/pub/vislearn-web.ps.Z

For other papers of ours, see

http://www.cs.cmu.edu:8001/Web/People/dredish/bibliography.html

Notes:

This paper contains large compressed postscript figures and
may take a long time to print out on some printers.

This paper will sometimes produce an "unable to uncompress file"
error, however, my experience has been that this is a spurious warning
and the paper uncompresses correctly.

Any problems, contact

	David Redish
	dredish at cs.cmu.edu