workshop

Lars Kai Hansen lkhansen at eivind.ei.dtu.dk
Fri Mar 10 09:44:21 EST 1995

                                    Telluride Summer Research Center
                                    Box 2255, Telluride, Colorado 81435, USA.

Re.: Telluride Summer Research Center Workshop on Neural Networks 1995.

Secretariats:

CONNECT,
Electronics Institute, B. 349
Technical University of Denmark
DK-2800 Lyngby Denmark
Phone: +45 4525 3889
Fax:   +45 4588 0117
Email: lkhansen at ei.dtu.dk

Interdisciplinary Research Center
Dept. of Mathematical Sciences,
San Diego State University.
San Diego California 92182, USA
Phone:  +1 619 594 7204
Fax:    +1 619 594 6746
Email:  salamon at math.sdsu.edu

Dept. WNI
Universitaire Campus
Limburgs Universitair Centrum
B-3590 Diepenbeek, Belgium
Phone: 32 011 268214
Fax:   32 011 268299
Email: chris at luc.ac.be

                                                   March 10, 1995

Dear prospective participant,

Enclosed find the announcement of a 1995 Workshop on Neural Networks
which will complement the other workshops in the 1995 program at the
Telluride Summer Research Center. The workshop will take place from
July 2 to July 9, and will be devoted to aspects of neural networks.
While the list of topics will vary to reflect the interests of the
participants, the list will include:

        THEORY:
        Generalization, ensembles, unsupervised learning.
        Extremely ill-posed learning and high dimensional data sets.

        APPLICATIONS:
        Medical imaging (PET) and time series processing.

The format of the sections is to take a prepared one hour talk and turn it
into a careful and detailed cross examination lasting 4-5 hours. This format
has proven in the past years to be an outstanding way to rapidly understand
new ideas and we invite you to share in the learning experience that viewing
each other's work under such scrutiny can provide. The discussions aim to be
constructive rather than critical, and all possible attempts will be made
to relate the topics to the open problems of the workshop.

Individual participants are expected to provide their own salaries.
Academic and research institutions have recognized the value of
participation in the Center's activities and have been willing to pay for
work performed at the Center. The Summer Research Center helps arrange
for housing thereby obtaining reduced rates for the participants and
families.

              inexpensive  housing!!

A registration fee is charged all participants (100$ for one week, 125$ for
two or more weeks). The fee may be waived in special circumstances. Anybody
requiring official letters of invitation should contact the organizers
specifying
their needs.

The Center offers an excellent way to meet collaborators from other
institutions through coordinated visits. Extended stays are thus recommended.
The Telluride locale, situated in an unspoiled valley near 4200 m high
mountain peaks in the south west corner of Colorado,
offers ample outdoor attractions making such stays enjoyable
for the families as well.

If you think you may be intested or would like to remain on our mailing
list for future years, please indicate so on the enclosed form and
return it to one of the organizers before April 5'th 1995. If you know of
other colleagues who may be interested, please pass a copy to them or
include their name and address.

Sincerely,

Lars Kai Hansen, Peter Salamon, and Christian Van den Broeck.

                                             Telluride Summer Research Center
                                             Box 2255, Telluride, Colorado
81435, USA.

                       ANNOUNCEMENT OF A WORKSHOP ON

                       Neural networks in high dimensions.

                         July 2,  -   July 9,  1995

                         TELLURIDE SUMMER RESEARCH CENTER
                           TELLURIDE, COLORADO 81435 USA

          Topics will include:

      Generalization, Ensembles, Unsupervised Learning, Medical Imaging

      ()  I would like to come to the center for the period:

      ()  I am interested in the workshop, but I cannot commit myself at this
          moment

      ()  I am not interested for this summer, but keep me on your mailing list.

      Name:

      Institution:

      Address:

      Phone, Fax, Email: