Paper Available: A Neural Model of Visual Attention

Pierre v.d. Laar pierre at mbfys.kun.nl
Tue Jun 27 03:33:27 EDT 1995

Dear Connectionists,

The following paper is accepted to appear in the
Proceedings of the third SNN Symposium

		A Neural Model of Visual Attention
		Pi\"erre van de Laar, Tom Heskes, and Stan Gielen

		Abstract:

		We propose a biologically plausible neural model of
		selective covert visual attention. We show that this
		model is able to learn focussing on object-specific
		features. It has similar learning characteristics as
		humans in the learning and unlearning paradigm of
		Shiffrin and Schneider (1977).

		R. M. Shiffrin and W. Schneider.
		Controlled and automatic human information processing:
		II. perceptual learning, automatic attending and a general theory.
		Psychological Review, 84(2):127--190, 1977.

The online version can be reached through:

	http://www.mbfys.kun.nl/~pierre/Proc3SNN/

The postscript version is available through ftp at:

	ftp.mbfys.kun.nl

	as file:

	snn/pub/reports/Laar.Proc3SNN.ps.Z

FTP INSTRUCTIONS

     unix% ftp ftp.mbfys.kun.nl (or 131.174.83.52)
     Name: anonymous
     Password: (use your e-mail address)
     ftp> cd snn/pub/reports/
     ftp> binary
     ftp> get Laar.Proc3SNN.ps.Z
     ftp> bye
     unix% uncompress Laar.Proc3SNN.ps.Z
     unix% lpr Laar.Proc3SNN.ps

Remarks, suggestions and relevant references are welcome.
Best wishes

		Pi\"erre van de Laar
		Department of Medical Physics and Biophysics,
		University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands
		pierre at mbfys.kun.nl

P.S.   More information about the SNN symposium can be found at:
			http://www.mbfys.kun.nl/SNN/Symposium/