NIPS*7 preprint avaible (OCR, fast tangent distance)

Holger Schwenk schwenk at robo.jussieu.fr
Mon Jun 26 13:33:45 EDT 1995

                 **DO NOT FORWARD TO OTHER GROUPS**

FTP-host: ftp.robo.jussieu.fr
FTP-filename: /papers/schwenk.nips7.ps.gz  (8 pages, 39k)

The following paper, which will appear in NIPS*7, MIT Press, is available via
anonymous FTP at the above location.
The paper is 8 pages long, the screendumps will look best on 600dpi laser
printers.

No hardcopies
available.

                Transformation Invariant Autoassociation
                          with Application to
                   Handwritten Character Recognition

                   H. Schwenk and M. Milgram

                          PARC - boite 164
                 Universite Pierre et Marie Curie
                        4, place Jussieu
                   75252 Paris cedex 05, FRANCE

                              ABSTRACT

  When training neural networks by the classical backpropagation algorithm
  the whole problem to learn must be expressed by a set of inputs and
  desired outputs. However, we often have high-level knowledge about the
  learning problem. In optical character recognition (OCR), for instance,
  we know that the classification should be invariant under a set of
  transformations like rotation or translation.
  We propose a new modular classification system based on several
  autoassociative multilayer perceptrons which allows the efficient
  incorporation of such knowledge.
  Results are reported on the NIST database of upper case handwritten letters
  and compared to other approaches to the invariance problem.

FTP instructions:

unix> ftp ftp.robo.jussieu.fr
Name: anonymous
Password: your full email address
ftp> cd papers
ftp> bin
ftp> get schwenk.nips95.ps.gz
ftp> quit
unix> gunzip schwenk.nips95.ps.gz
unix> lp schwenk.nips95.ps  (or however you print postscript)

The above ftp server will host also other papers of our group in the
near future.

I welcome your comments.

Holger Schwenk
PARC - boite 164                         tel: (+33 1) 44.27.63.08
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie         fax: (+33 1) 44.27.62.14
4, place Jussieu
75252 Paris cedex 05                   email: schwenk at robo.jussieu.fr
FRANCE