Notes for HKP on WWW

Arun Jagota jagota at next1.msci.memst.edu
Wed Jul 19 17:41:23 EDT 1995

Dear Connectionists:

I am offering a set of handwritten transparencies, in electronic scanned-in
form, for portions of the book "Introduction to the Theory of Neural
Computation", Hertz, Krogh, and Palmer, on the World Wide Web as follows:

    http://www.msci.memphis.edu/~jagota

You are welcome to make transparencies off them for instructional purposes,
or print them off for some other reason. Or simply browse using Netscape,
Mosaic, etc.

Some features are a little awkward. First, they are all hand-written (in
color) and quite unpolished. Second, each transparency is scanned into a
raw image and therefore retrieving it takes some time.

In all, there are about 110 of them, and they cover the following topics:

------------------------------------
ONE   Introduction

TWO   The Hopfield Model
    2.1 Associative Memories and Energy Function:
    2.2 Hebb Rule and Capacity
    2.3 Stochastic Networks

THREE Extensions of the Hopfield Model
    3.1 Continuous-Valued Units

FOUR  Optimization Problems
    4.1 Mapping Problems to Hopfield Network
    4.2 The Weighted Matching Problem
    4.3 Graph Bipartitioning

FIVE  Simple Perceptrons
    5.1 Feed-Forward Networks
    5.2 Threshold Units
    5.3 Perceptron Learning Rule Proof of Convergence
    5.4 Continuous Units
    5.5 Capacity of the Simple Perceptron

SIX   Multi-Layer Networks
    6.1 Back-Propagation
    6.2 Variations on Back-Propagation
    6.3 Examples and Applications

Let me also add that version 2 of the HKP exercises (very slightly refined and
expanded from version 1) is available from the same ftp location as earlier:

ftp ftp.cs.buffalo.edu
> cd users/jagota
> get HKP.ps

Arun Jagota,  Math Sciences, University of Memphis