TR announcement: Extensions to the delta rule of associative learning

John Kruschke kruschke at croton.psych.indiana.edu
Thu Jul 6 16:17:34 EDT 1995

The following report is now available:

    Extensions to the Delta Rule for Associative Learning

            John K. Kruschke and Amy L. Bradley

The delta rule of associative learning has recently been used in
several models of human category learning, and applied to categories
with different relative frequencies, or base rates.  Previous research
has emphasized predictions of the delta rule after extensive learning.
Our first experiment measures the relative acquisition rates of
categories with different base rates, and the delta rule significantly
and systematically deviates from the human data.  We suggest that two
additional mechanisms are involved, namely, short-term memory and
strategic guessing.  Two additional experiments highlight the effects
of these mechanisms.  The mechanisms are formalized and combined with
the delta rule, and provide good fits to the data from all three
experiments.

The easiest way to get it is from the research section of my Web page
(see URL below).

  John K. Kruschke          e-mail: kruschke at indiana.edu
  Dept. of Psychology             office: (812) 855-3192
  Indiana University                 lab: (812) 855-9613
  Bloomington, IN 47405-1301 USA     fax: (812) 855-4691
  URL= http://silver.ucs.indiana.edu/~kruschke/home.html