paper announcement

Lawrence Saul lksaul at psyche.mit.edu
Tue Jan 24 13:58:11 EST 1995

FTP-host: psyche.mit.edu
FTP-file: pub/lksaul/boltzmann.chains.ps.Z

The following paper is now available by anonymous ftp:

      Boltzmann Chains and Hidden Markov Models [8 pages]

           Lawrence K. Saul and Michael I. Jordan
       Center for Biological and Computational Learning
           Massachusetts Institute of Technology
                79 Amherst Street, E10-243
		    Cambridge, MA 02139

Abstract:
We propose a statistical mechanical framework for the modeling of
discrete time series.  Maximum likelihood estimation is done via
Boltzmann learning in one-dimensional networks with tied weights.  We
call these networks Boltzmann chains and show that they contain hidden
Markov models (HMMs) as a special case.  Our framework also motivates
new architectures that address particular shortcomings of HMMs.  We
look at two such architectures: parallel chains that model feature
sets with disparate time scales, and looped networks that model
long-term dependencies between hidden states.  For these networks, we
show how to implement the Boltzmann learning rule exactly, in
polynomial time, without resort to simulated or mean-field annealing.
The necessary computations are done by exact decimation procedures
from statistical mechanics.

*** To appear in the NIPS 1994 Proceedings.