TR: Learning Distributed Representations for the Classification

Christoph Goller goller at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Wed Jan 11 05:55:29 EST 1995

of Terms
Return-Receipt-To: goller at informatik.tu-muenchen.de

Technical Report available:

Comments are welcome !!

FTP-host: ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
FTP-filename:
 /local/lehrstuhl/jessen/Group.Automated_Reasoning/Tech.Reports/AR-94-05.ps.gz
WWW:
 http://wwwjessen.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/forschung/reasoning/reports.html

 @TECHREPORT{label,
 AUTHOR = {C. Goller and A. Sperduti and A. Starita},
 TITLE = {Learning Distributed Representations
          for the Classification of Terms},
 INSTITUTION = {Institut f\"{u}r Informatik,
                Technische Universit\"{a}t M\"{u}nchen},
 YEAR = {1994},
 NUMBER = {AR-94-05} }

Abstract:

This paper is a study on LRAAM-based (Labeling Recursive Auto-Associative
Memory) classification of symbolic recursive structures encoding terms.
The results reported here have been obtained by combining an LRAAM
network with an analog perceptron.
The approach used was to interleave the development of representations
(unsupervised learning of the LRAAM) with the learning of the classification
task. In this way, the representations are optimized with respect to the
classification task.
The intended applications of the approach described in this paper are hybrid
(symbolic/connectionist) systems, where the connectionist part has to
solve logic-oriented inductive learning tasks similar to the
term-classification problems used in our experiments. These problems range
from the detection of a specific subterm to the satisfaction of a specific
unification pattern. We show that these problems
can get a very satisfactory solution by our approach.

* No hardcopy available.

* FTP procedure:
        unix> ftp ftp.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
        Name: anonymous
        Password:
        ftp> cd /local/lehrstuhl/jessen/Group.Automated_Reasoning/Tech.Reports
        ftp> binary
        ftp> get AR-94-05.ps.gz
        ftp> bye
        unix> gunzip AR-94-05.ps.gz
        unix> lpr AR-94-05.ps (or however you print postscript)

Christoph Goller                                   Lehrstuhl VIII
Institut fuer Informatik                Research Group "Automated Reasoning"
Technische Universitaet Muenchen               Tel.: +49-89/521097
Arcisstr. 21                                   Fax.: +49-89/526502
D-80290 Muenchen                        email: goller at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Germany