Technical Report Series in Neural and Computational Learning

John Shawe-Taylor john at dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk
Tue Feb 28 17:43:37 EST 1995

The European Community ESPRIT Working Group in Neural and Computational
       Learning Theory (NeuroCOLT): three new reports available

NeuroCOLT Technical Report NC-TR-95-015:
Computability and complexity over the reals
by Paolo Boldi, University of Milan

Abstract:
In this work, we sketch a (rather superficial) survey about the problem of
extending some of the classical notions from computation and complexity theory
to the non-classical realm of real numbers.  We first present an algorithmic
approach, deeply studied by Blum, Shub, Smale et al., and give a non-trivial
separation result recently obtained by Cucker.  Then, we introduce some concepts
from another line of research, namely the one based on the notion of computable
real number.

NeuroCOLT Technical Report NC-TR-95-016:
Probably Approximately Optimal Satisficing Strategies
by Russell Greiner, Siemens Corporate Research
   Pekka Orponen, Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki

Abstract:
A {\em satisficing search problem} consists of a set of probabilistic
experiments to be performed in some order, seeking a satisfying
configuration of successes and failures.  The expected cost of the search
depends both on the success probabilities of the individual experiments,
and on the {\em search strategy}, which specifies the order in which the
experiments are to be performed.  A strategy that minimizes the expected
cost is {\em optimal}.  Earlier work has provided ``optimizing functions''
that compute optimal strategies for certain classes of search problems from
the success probabilities of the individual experiments.  We extend those
results by providing a general model of such strategies, and an algorithm
\pao\ that identifies an approximately optimal strategy when the
probability values are not known.  The algorithm first estimates the
relevant probabilities from a number of trials of each undetermined
experiment, and then uses these estimates, and the proper optimizing
function, to identify a strategy whose cost is, with high probability,
close to optimal.  We also show that if the search problem can be
formulated as an and-or tree, then the PAO algorithm can also ``learn
while doing'', i.e. gather the necessary statistics while performing the
search.

NeuroCOLT Technical Report NC-TR-95-018:
On real Turing machines that toss coins
by  Felipe Cucker, Universitat Pompeu Fabra,
    Marek Karpinski, Universit\"at Bonn,
    Pascal Koiran, DIMACS, Rutgers University,
    Thomas Lickteig, Universit\"at Bonn,
    Kai Werther, Universit\"at Bonn

Abstract:
In this paper we consider real counterparts of classical probabilistic
complexity classes in the framework of real Turing machines as
introduced by Blum, Shub, and Smale \cite{BSS}.  We give an extension
of the well-known ``$\BPP \subseteq \P/\poly$'' result from discrete
complexity theory to a very general setting in the real number model.
This result holds for real inputs, real outputs, and random elements
drawn from an arbitrary probability distribution over~$\R^m$. Then we
turn to the study of Boolean parts, that is, classes of languages of
zero-one vectors accepted by real machines.  In particular we show that
the classes $\BPP$, $\PP$, $\PH$, and $\PSPACE$ are not enlarged by
allowing the use of real constants and arithmetic at unit cost provided
we restrict branching to equality tests.

-----------------------
The Report NC-TR-95-015 can be accessed and printed as follows

% ftp cscx.cs.rhbnc.ac.uk  (134.219.200.45)
Name: anonymous
password: your full email address
ftp> cd pub/neurocolt/tech_reports
ftp> binary
ftp> get nc-tr-95-015.ps.Z
ftp> bye
% zcat nc-tr-95-015.ps.Z | lpr -l

Similarly for the other technical report.

Uncompressed versions of the postscript files have also been
left for anyone not having an uncompress facility.

A full list of the currently available Technical Reports in the
Series is held in a file `abstracts' in the same directory.

The files may also be accessed via WWW starting from the NeuroCOLT homepage:

http://www.dcs.rhbnc.ac.uk/neurocolt.html

Best wishes
John Shawe-Taylor