paper available:Lorentzian Neural Nets

Joerg_Lemm lemm at LORENTZ.UNI-MUENSTER.DE
Mon Feb 6 12:14:33 EST 1995

          FTP-host: archive.cis.ohio-state.edu
          FTP-filename: /pub/neuroprose/giraud.lorentz.ps.Z

The file giraud.lorentz.ps.Z is now available for
copying from the Neuroprose repository:
(27 pages, compressed file size 215K)

TITLE:
                   LORENTZIAN NEURAL NETS
AUTHORS:
                         B.G.Giraud
          Service Physique Theorique, DSM, C.E.Saclay,
          91191 Gif/Yvette, France,

                    A.Lapedes and L.C.Liu
          Theoretical Division, Los Alamos National Laboratory,
          87545 Los Alamos, NM, USA,

                         J.C.Lemm
          Institut fuer Theoretische Physik I, Muenster University,
          48149 Muenster, Germany

ABSTRACT:
We consider neural units whose response functions are Lorentzians rather
than the usual sigmoids or steps. This consideration is justified by the fact
that neurons can be paired and that a suitable difference of the sigmoids
of the paired neurons can create a window response function.
Lorentzians are special cases of such windows and we take advantage of their
simplicity to generate polynomial equations for several problems such as:
i)   fixed points of a completely connected net,
ii)  classification of operational modes,
iii) training of a feedforward net,
iv)  process signals represented by complex numbers.

Lorentzians and rational fractions, Integer coefficients, Training by solving
polynomial systems, Processing of complex numbers,
Fixed number of solutions, Classification of operational modes.