No subject

Mike West mw at isds.Duke.EDU
Tue Aug 22 15:30:51 EDT 1995

	       1996 JOINT STATISTICAL MEETINGS
		 Chicago, August 4-8, 1996

	ASA Section on BAYESIAN STATISTICAL SCIENCES

    CALL FOR PROPOSALS:  SPECIAL CONTRIBUTED PAPER SESSIONS

This is an initial call for proposals for Special Contributed Paper
Sessions for the Section on Bayesian Statistical Sciences program at
the 1996 Joint Meetings. We already have several proposals, at least in
embryo, and are looking for many more. Please consider putting together
a session, and alert others who may be interested in organising a
session. We have a few months before formal sessions, tentative titles,
etc., are needed, but it is not too soon to begin to think about
session themes and to talk to potential participants. Those of you who
have already contacted me with ideas should now be going the next step
to confirm your topics and speakers, and let me have the revised
session proposal.

At this stage, suggestions and ideas for sessions need not identify a
full list of speakers and discussants, but you should provide a general
idea of the topic and focus, and some names at least tentatively
agreed. The ASA theme for the 1996 meetings is

 "Challenging the Frontiers of Knowledge Using Statistical Science"

and is intended to highlight new statistical developments at the
forefront of the discipline -- theory, methods, applications, and
cross-disciplinary activities.  Accordingly, ASA will be designating
selected sessions as "Theme" sessions.  Suggestions for SBSS sessions
obviously in tune with this theme, involving topics of real novelty and
importance, new directions of development in Bayesian statistics, and
reflecting the current vibrancy of the discipline, are particularly
encouraged.  And remember that other ASA sections can co-sponsor
sessions; SBSS will be vigorously seeking co-sponsorship in many
cases.

*SPECIAL REQUEST* The Chicago meetings will likely  attract well over
4,000 participants. Many will not be seriously attracted by many of the
Bayesian talks; not because of Bayesian emphases, but because of
technical/mathematical level and orientation.  For example, there will
be many participants from various corners of
industry/commerce/government that do not have PhDs. We would like to
reach these kinds of people. One way of attempting this is to have  one
or more sessions more or less targeted at the practising "applied"
statistician and at a lower technical level than typical.  One
possibility is a panel discussion, involving participants with strong
industrial/consulting/non-academic  backgrounds who will discuss issues
and experiences of practical Bayesian statistics in their areas. A
variant would have several speakers making  "case study" presentations.
Your inputs are solicited.

FORMAT: A Special Contributed Paper Session typically involves a
collections of either five short talks (20mins), or four talks plus a
discussion, on a specific theme. One alternative is to have a panel
discussion involving up to five panelists.  All sessions need a chair.
Please contact me with suggestions and ideas for themes and speakers.

Mike West, 1996 SBSS Program Chair
 	   ISDS, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0251
	   mw at isds.duke.edu
	   http://www.isds.duke.edu