HKP excercises

Arun Jagota jagota at next2.msci.memst.edu
Sat Apr 8 14:09:02 EDT 1995

Dear Connectionists:

The text "Introduction to the Theory of Neural Computation" by Hertz, Krogh,
and Palmer does not come with excercises, so I have compiled some of my own,
in connection with a neural nets course I am teaching this term (for the second
time from HKP). Professor Palmer, who I discussed this with, liked the idea
of making this list available on Connectionists.

If you would like this compilation of "classroom tested" excercises and some
computer projects, please send me electronic mail at

           jagota at next2.msci.memst.edu

List is available only by e-mail at present so I can keep track of responses.

Currently it is a little biased, reflecting my background and interests. To
correct this bias and to expand the list, I invite submissions of new material
(via e-mail to me). Submissions should pertain to the material as covered in
HKP. The list is especially lacking excercises on Chapters SEVEN (Recurrent
Networks), EIGHT (Unsupervised Hebbian Learning), and NINE (Unsupervised
Competitive Learning). Submissions in LaTeX would be especially convenient for
me. The final list, including all "accepted" submissions, will be forwarded
also to Professor Palmer, who has indicated he might evolve it into a possibly
larger list. All submissions I decide to include will be acknowledged.

Arun Jagota
Math Sciences, University of Memphis