Paper available in Neuroprose

Dr. Michael Stiber stiber at cs.ust.hk
Wed Mar 16 16:35:03 EST 1994

The file stiber.transient.ps.Z (4 pages) is now available via
anonymous ftp from the neuroprose archive.  It will appear in _Proc.
Int. Symp.  on Speech, Image Processing & Neural Networks_, Hong Kong,
1994, and is also available as Technical Report HKUST-CS94-6
(file://ftp.cs.ust.hk/pub/techreport/postscript/tr94-6.ps.gz).  If you
absolutely, positively cannot access it any other way, send me email
and I'll send you a hardcopy.

	    Transient Responses in Dynamical Neural Models

			    Michael Stiber
		    Department of Computer Science
	  The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
			   Clear Water Bay
			       Kowloon
			      Hong Kong

			   Jose P. Segundo
		Department of Anatomy and Cell Biology
		     and Brain Research Institute
		       University of California
			Los Angeles, CA 90024
				 USA

We consider the input/output behavior of a realistic dynamical neural
model in comparison to those typically used in artificial neural
networks. We have found that such models duplicate well those
behaviors seen in living neurons, displaying a range of behaviors
commonly seen in a wide variety of nonlinear dynamical systems. This
is not captured well by weighted sum/monotonic transfer function
models. An example of the consequences of nonlinear dynamics in neural

Dr. Michael Stiber					stiber at cs.ust.hk
Department of Computer Science				tel: (852) 358 6981
The Hong Kong University of Science & Technology	fax: (852) 358 1477
Clear Water Bay, Kowloon, Hong Kong