paper available

Melanie Mitchell mm at santafe.edu
Sun Jan 23 20:19:10 EST 1994

The final version of our paper "When Will a Genetic Algorithm Outperform
Hill Climbing?" (to appear in NIPS 6) is now available in neuroprose:

	    When Will a Genetic Algorithm Outperform Hill Climbing?

	Melanie Mitchell    John H. Holland         Stephanie Forrest
	Santa Fe Institute  University of Michigan  University of New Mexico

				Abstract

	We analyze a simple hill-climbing algorithm (RMHC) that was previously
	shown to outperform a genetic algorithm (GA) on a simple ``Royal
	Road'' function.  We then analyze an ``idealized'' genetic algorithm
	(IGA) that is significantly faster than RMHC and that gives a lower
	bound for GA speed.  We identify the features of the IGA that give
	rise to this speedup, and discuss how these features can be
	incorporated into a real GA.

The paper is 9 pages.

To obtain a copy:

unix> ftp archive.cis.ohio-state.edu
Name: anonymous
Password: (type your email address)
ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
ftp> binary
ftp> get mitchell.ga-hillclimb.ps.Z
ftp> quit
unix>uncompress mitchell.ga-hillclimb.ps.Z
unix> lpr mitchell.ga-hillclimb.ps