Neural Plasticity and Control Modelling Faculty Position in Bioengineering

Jerome Soller soller at asylum.cs.utah.edu
Wed Jan 12 17:03:29 EST 1994

	I was recently made aware of the following job
announcement from the University of Utah Department
of Bioengineering that was advertised nationally.
They have two tenure track faculty openings, one of
which may focus on models of neural plasticity and
control.  I repeat their annoucement verbatim below,
and I apologize for the short notice (responses must
be made by Jan. 15th).  For further information,
contact, Dr. Richard Normann of Bioengineering.

				Sincerely,

				Jerome Soller
				(soller at asylum.cs.utah.edu)
				U. of Utah Dept. of
					Computer Science and
				VA Geriatric, Research,
				Education and Clinical Center
Tenure Track Faculty Positions
	Department of Bioengineering
	University of Utah

Applications are invited for two tenure-track positions in the
area of "Biobased Engineering."  Candidates must have an
earned doctorate and a strong physical science or engineering
background, with a specific biological direction to their
research.  We are specifically seeking candidates with
demonstrated expertise in one of the following three areas.

1. Micro/Nano Fabrication of Inorganic, Organic, and
   Biomolecular Materials: use of inorganic materials,
   compliant biomaterials, or composite inorganic/polymeric
   materials to fabricate microsensors and microactuators, and
   the application of microsystems to problems in the life
   sciences.

2. Cellular Bioengineering: cytoskeletal biomechanics,
   mechanisms of cell attachment, locomotion, and bioenergetics.

3. Neural Plasticity and Control: information processing and
   plasticity in higher neural centers, neural network
   architectures, and adaptive and hierarchical control
   systems.

Appointees will be expected to develop significant research
programs, to assist in the development of new teaching
laboratories, and to reach graduate classes in their
area of specialization.

A complete CV, names of three references, and brief career
goals/objectives statement should be sent to Dr. R. Normann,
Chair, Department of Bioengineering, 2480 MEB, University
of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 (phone 801-581-8528,
FAX 801-585-5361) by January 15, 1994, or until qualified
applicants applications are identified.

The University is an AA/EO employer, encourages applications
from women and minorities, and provides reasonable accomodation
to the known disabilities of applicants and employees.