Available

Lee Giles giles at research.nj.nec.com
Fri Feb 25 18:28:59 EST 1994

Reprint:USING RECURRENT NEURAL NETWORKS TO LEARN THE STRUCTURE
OF INTERCONNECTION NETWORKS

The following reprint is available via the University of Maryland
Department of Computer Science Technical Report archive:

                  "Using Recurrent Neural Networks to
           Learn the Structure of Interconnection Networks"

  UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND TECHNICAL REPORT UMIACS-TR-94-20 AND CS-TR-3226

                G.W. Goudreau(a) and C.L. Giles(b,c)

           goudreau at cs.ucf.edu, giles at research.nj.nec.com

(a) Department of Computer Science, U. of Central Florida, Orlando, FL 32816
(b) NEC Research Inst.,4 Independence Way, Princeton, NJ 08540
(c) Inst. for Advanced Computer Studies, U. of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742

A modified Recurrent Neural Network (RNN) is used to learn a Self-Routing
Interconnection Network (SRIN) from a set of routing examples. The RNN is
modified so that it has several distinct initial states. This is equivalent
to a single RNN learning multiple different synchronous sequential machines.
We define such a sequential machine structure as "augmented" and show that
a SRIN is essentially an Augmented Synchronous Sequential Machine (ASSM).
As an example, we learn a small six-switch SRIN. After training we extract
the network's internal representation of the ASSM and corresponding SRIN.

                          FTP INSTRUCTIONS

                unix> ftp cs.umd.edu (128.8.128.8)
                Name: anonymous
                Password: (your_userid at your_site)
                ftp> cd pub/pub/papers/TRs
                ftp> binary
                ftp> get 3226.ps.Z
                ftp> quit
                unix> uncompress 3226.ps.Z

C. Lee Giles / NEC Research Institute / 4 Independence Way
Princeton, NJ 08540 / 609-951-2642 / Fax 2482
==