SS-ANOVA for `soft' classification-anct

Grace Wahba wahba at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Dec 23 22:36:19 EST 1994

The following report is available via anonymous ftp or Mosaic:

ftp://ftp.stat.wisc.edu/pub/wahba/exptl.ssanova.ps.gz

Smoothing Spline ANOVA for Exponential Families, With Application
to the Wisconsin Epidemiological Study of Diabetic Retinopathy

        Grace Wahba, Yuedong Wang, Chong Gu
        Ronald Klein MD, and Barbara Klein MD

Given attributes (which may be discrete or continuous)
and outcomes (Class 1 or Class 0) of a sample of instances,
we develop Smoothing Spline ANOVA methods to estimate the
*probability* of membership in Class 1, given the attribute
vector. These methods are suitable when outcomes
as a function of attributes are not clear-cut, as, for
example, occurs when estimating risk of some medical outcome,
given various predictor variables and treatments.
These methods are penalized log-likelihood methods and
plots of the cross sections of the estimates are generally
fairly easy to interpret in context.
We use the results to estimate the probability
of four-year progression of diabetic retinopathy, given the three
predictor variables glycosylated hemoglobin, duration of diabetes and
body mass index at the study baseline, based on data
from the Wisconsin Epidemiological Study of Diabetic Retinopathy.
We discuss methods for multiple smoothing parameter selection,
(the bias-variance tradeoff!!), numerical methods for
computing the estimate and Bayesian `confidence intervals'
for the estimate. We discuss methods of informal and formal
model selection (stacked generalization!!) and some open questions.
This work provides further details for work which has previously been
announced in NIPS-93 and elsewhere.

Other related papers in the same directory include
gacv.ps.gz, ssanova.ps.gz ml-bib.ps and theses/ywang.thesis.README

 Grace Wahba wahba at stat.wisc.edu .....`think snow'