FLAME: WCNN'95 - science in the mud pits

Mr. David Bisant bisant at gl.umbc.edu
Tue Dec 13 20:21:48 EST 1994

On Thu, 8 Dec 1994, Jordan Pollack wrote:

> >Authors must submit
> >registration payment with papers to be eligible for the early
> >registration fee...Registration fee includes 1995 membership and a
> >one (1) year subscription to  the Journal Neural Networks.
> >A $35 per paper processing fee must be enclosed
> >in order for the paper to be refereed.
>
> Reading fees are charged by agents for aspiring science fiction
> writers. Linking registration to submission is nothing more than an
> admission that all papers are to be accepted.  And a fee of $480 is
> paying a lot more than membership, subscription, and a few days of
> coffee breaks!

The new fee structure for WCNN did not strike me as being unusually
high.  I also think it will help solve a problem I observed last
year with a few authors not showing up for their talks, which wasted
valuable time slots for oral presentation and upset schedules.

With interest in the neural network field diminishing, new problems
in conferencing appear.  I think their fee structure is a reasonable
approach to solving these problems.

David Bisant
(no affiliation with the conference organization)