CNS*94 registration

Jim Bower jbower at smaug.bbb.caltech.edu
Fri Apr 8 15:26:30 EDT 1994

       Registration Information for the
Third Annual Computation and Neural Systems Meeting
                    CNS*94
         July 21   -   July 26, 1994
            Monterey, California

CNS*94:  Registration is now open for this year's Computation and
Neural Systems meeting (CNS*94).  This is the third in a series of
annual inter-disciplinary conferences intended to address the broad
range of research approaches and issues involved in the general field
of computational neuroscience.  As in the previous years, this
meeting will bring together experimental and theoretical
neurobiologists along with engineers, computer scientists, cognitive
scientists, physicists, and mathematicians interested in
understanding how biological neural systems compute.  The meeting
will equally emphasize experimental, model-based, and more
abstract theoretical approaches to understanding neurobiological
computation.

Meeting Structure:   The meeting will be organized in two parts:
three days of research presentations, and two days of follow up
workshops.  Most presentations will be based on submitted papers,
with 10 presentations by specially invited speakers. 111 submitted
papers have been accepted for presentation at the meeting based on
peer review.  Details on the agenda can be obtained via ftp or through
telnet as described below.

Location:  The two components of the meeting will take place in
two different locations on the Monterey Peninsula on the coast south
of San Francisco, California.  The main meeting will be held at the
Doubletree Hotel in downtown Monterey itself.  This modern hotel is
located at  Monterey's historic Fisherman's Wharf.  Following the
main meeting, two days of post-meeting workshops will be held at
Asilomar Conference Center at Asilomar State Beach in Pacific
Grove just a few miles away.

Main Meeting Accommodations:  Accommodations for the main
meeting have been arranged at the Doubletree Hotel.  We have
reserved a block of rooms at the special rate for all attendees of
$119 per night single or double occupancy in the conference hotel
(that is, 2 people sharing a room would split the $119!).  A fixed
number of rooms have been reserved for students at the rate of $99
per night single or double occupancy (yes, that means $50 a nite per
student!). These student room rates are on a first-come-first-served
basis, so we recommend acting quickly to reserve these slots.  Each
additional person per room is a $20 charge.  Registering for the
meeting, WILL NOT result in an automatic room reservation.  Instead
you must make your own reservations by contacting:

      the Doubletree Hotel at Fisherman's Wharf
                Two Portola Plaza
               Monterey, CA  93940
                  (408) 649-4511

NOTE:  IN ORDER TO GET THE REDUCED RATES, YOU MUST CONFIRM
HOTEL REGISTRATIONS BY JUNE 18,1994.

When making reservations by phone, make sure and indicate that you
are registering for the CNS*94 meeting.  Students will be asked to
verify their status on check in with a student ID or other
documentation.

Workshop Accommodations: Housing for the workshops will be
provided on-site at Asilomar Conference Center.  Transportation to
the conference center, three nights lodging and all meals are
included in the workshop registration fee of $250.  Acknowledgment
of registration for the workshops and payment of fees WILL
constitute a guarantee of accommodations at the workshop.
However, space at the workshops is limited to 125, so early
registration is highly recommended.

Registration Fees:  The strong response to this year's call for
papers, coupled with grant support, has allowed us to reduce the
registration fees from pervious years.  Accordingly, fees this year
will be:

Main meeting registration received before June 15, 1994:

        Students, main meeting:  $  90
        Others, main meeting:    $ 200

Main meeting registration after June 15, 1994

        Students, main meeting:  $ 125
        Others, main meeting:    $ 235

Workshops:      $250   (includes all meals and three nights lodging)

Banquet:  Registration for the main meeting includes a single ticket
to the annual CNS Banquet this year to be held within  the Monterey
Aquarium on Thursday evening,
July 21st.  Additional Banquet tickets can be purchased for $35 each
person.

Additional Meeting Information:

	Additional information about the meeting is available via FTP
over the internet (address: 131.215.137.69 ).  To obtain information
about the agenda, currently registered attendees, or paper abstracts,
the initial sequence is the same (Things you type are in ""):

>	yourhost% "ftp 131.215.137.69"
>	220 mordor FTP server (SunOS 4.1) ready.

 	Name (131.215.137.69:<yourname>): "ftp"

 	Password:  "yourname at yourhost.yourside.yourdomain"
>	230 Guest login OK, access restrictions apply.

 	ftp> "cd cns94"
>	250 CWD command successful.
 	ftp>

At this point you can do one of several things:

1)	To examine what is available type:  "ls"
	Directory as of 4/5/94:
		abstracts94
		agenda94
		attendees94
		general_information94
		registration94
		rooms_to_share94
		travel_arrangements94
		travel_grants94
		workshops94

2)	To download specific files type:  "get  <filename>"
	for example:  "get agenda94" or "get attendees94"

Once you have obtained the information you want type: "quit"

  Registration Procedure:

        Participants can register for the meeting in several different
ways:

1) electronically,
2) via email,
3) via regular surface mail.

Each different method is described below.  Please only register
using one method.  You will receive a confirmation of registration
within two weeks.

1) Interactive electronic registration:

        For those of you with internet connectivity who would like to
register electronically for CNS*94 we have provided an internet
account through which you may submit your registration
information.   To use this service you need only "telnet" to
"mordor.bbb.caltech.edu" and login as "cns94".   No password is
required.  For example:

        yourhost% "telnet mordor.bbb.caltech.edu"
        Trying 131.215.137.69 ...
        Connected to mordor.bbb.caltech.edu.
        Escape character is '^]'.

        SunOS UNIX (mordor)

        login:  "cns94"

        Now answer all questions

(Note that all registration through this electronic service is subject
to verification of payment.)

2) Email registration:

For those with easy access to electronic mail simply fill in the
attached registration form and email it to:

        cns94 at smaug.bbb.caltech.edu

3) Surface mail registration:

Finally, for those who elect neither of the above options, or who are
paying by means other than credit card, please print out the attached
registration form and send with payment via surface mail to:

             CNS*94 Registrations
             Division of Biology  216-76
             Caltech
             Pasadena,  CA 91125

Those registering by 1 or 2 above, but paying with check or money
order should send payment to the above address as well with you
name and institution clearly marked.  Registration becomes
effective when payment is received.

                        CNS*94
                   REGISTRATION FORM
                 Monterey, California.
               July 20 - July 26,  1994

Last Name:                             First Name:
Title:                                 Organization:
Address:
City:                            State:              Zip :
Country:
Telephone:                      email address:

Registration Fees:

        Technical Program  -- July 21 - 23
  _____  Regular    $ 200   ($225 after June 15th)
  _____  Student    $  90   ($125 after June 15th)
  _____  Banquet    $  35   (each additional banquet ticket)

         Post-meeting Workshop  --  July 24 - 26
  _____   $ 250      (includes round-trip
transportation, all meals and lodging)

 Total Payment:      $ ______

Please indicate method of payment :
  ____  Check or Money Order
        - Payable in U.S. dollars to CNS*94 - Caltech
        - Please make sure to indicate CNS*94 and YOUR name on all
          money transfers.
  ____  Charge my card:
              ____  Visa   ____  Mastercard   ____  American Express

 number:  ________________________________________
 Expiration date __________
 Name of cardholder ______________________________

Signature as appears on card (for mailed in applications):

  _________________________ Date ____________

Additional Questions:

Did you submit an abstract & summary ?
 (  ) yes    (  ) no
  title :

Do you have special dietary preferences or restrictions (e.g.,
diabetic,
low sodium, kosher, vegetarian)?  If so, please note:

Some grants to cover partial travel expenses may become available.
Do you
wish further information ?      (  ) yes    (  ) no