Hadeishi's comments

mclennan@cs.utk.edu mclennan at cs.utk.edu
Mon Sep 13 18:09:39 EDT 1993

I would like to add one comment to David Wolpert's reply to Mitsu
Hadeishi's comments about our paper.  That is a reminder that a TM
is an idealized model of computation which ignores all the real-
life problems of signal detection and classification, for example,
in reading its tape.  It's assumed to operate perfectly and in a
noise-free environment.  We make analogous assumptions in the
continuous case, so that we also have an idealized model of computation.
It's a theoretical construction for theoretical purposes, and I
can no more imagine a practical use for it than for, for example,
a Turing machine simulation of a recursive function evaluator
(e.g., executing LISP on a TM).

Like most theoretical constructions, ours makes physically
unrealistic assumptions and is extravagant in its use of
resources.

Bruce MacLennan
Department of Computer Science
The University of Tennessee