Telecom workshop early registration deadline next week

Joshua Alspector josh at faline.bellcore.com
Fri Sep 10 13:17:42 EDT 1993

International Workshop on Applications of
Neural Networks to Telecommunications

Nassau Inn, Princeton, NJ
October 18-20, 1993

You are invited to an international workshop on applications
of neural networks to problems in telecommunications.
The workshop will be held at the historic Nassau Inn  (across from
the university) in Princeton, New Jersey on October, 18-20 1993.

The conference rate is $95 single, $135 double.  You can make reservations
directly with the hotel (mention IWANNT*93):

Nassau Inn
10 Palmer Square
Princeton, NJ 08542
(800) 862-7728 (within USA)
(609) 921-7500 (outside USA)
(609) 921-9385 (FAX)

In addition to the traditional hard-bound proceedings, we will also
have an on-line electronic conference proceedings.  This will have
automatic indexing and cross-referencing, multimedia figures,
and annotations for readers and authors to comment.

Tentative Schedule

International Workshop on Applications of Neural Networks to Telecommunications

Nassau Inn, Princeton, NJ

Monday               Oct. 18, 1993    Prince William Ballroom

 8:30                Coffee and registration

 9:00                J. Alspector, "Overview"

Session 1

 9:30                B.J. Sheu, "Programmable VLSI Neural Network Processors for
                     Equalization of Digital Communication Channels"

10:00                A. Jayakumar & Josh Alspector, "An Analog Neural-Network
                     Co-Processor System for Rapid Prototyping of
                     Telecommunications Applications"

10:30                Break

Session 2

11:00                J. Cid-Sueiro, "Improving Conventional Equalizers with
                     Neural Networks"

11:30                T. X. Brown, "Neural Networks for Equalization"

12:00                R. Goodman, B. Ambrose, "Applications of Learning
                     Techniques to Network Management"

12:30                Lunch

Session 3

 1:30                M. Littman & J. Boyan, "A Distributed Reinforcement
                     Learning Scheme for Network Routing"

 2:00                M. Goudreau, C. L. Giles, "Discovering the Structure of
                     a Self Routing Interconnection Network with a
                     Recurrent Neural Network"

 2:30                G. Kechriotis, E. Manolakos, "Implementing the Optimal
                     CDMA Multiuser Detector with Hopfield Neural Networks"

 3:00                Break

Session 4

 3:30                A. Jagota, "Scheduling Problems in Radio Networks
                     Using Hopfield Networks"

 4:00                E. Nordstrom, M. Gustafsson, O. Gallmo, L. Asplund,
                     "A Hybrid Admission Control Scheme for
                     Broadband ATM Traffic"

 4:30                A. Tarraf, I. Habib, T. Saadawi, "Characterization of
                     Packetized Voice Traffic in ATM Networks
                     Using Neural Networks"

 6:00                Reception

Tuesday              Oct. 19, 1993   Prince William Ballroom

 8:30                Coffee

 9:00                Speaker   Title (Invited Talk)

10:00                Break

Session 5

10:30                A. Chhabra, S. Chandran, R. Kasturi, "Table Structure
                     Interpretation & Neural Network Based Text
                     Recognition for Conversion of Telephone Company
                     Tabular Drawings"

11:00                A. Amin, H. Al-Sadoun, "Arabic Character Recognition
                     System Using Artificial Neural Network"

11:30                G-E Wang, J-F Wang, "A New Hierarchical Approach for
                     Recognition of Unconstrained Handwritten Numerals"

Session 6

12:00                Poster session & Lunch

                POSTER SESSION

J. E. Neves, "ATM Call Control by Neural Networks"

A. Farago, "A Neural Structure for Dynamic Routing
and Resource Management in ATM Networks"

S. Amin, M. Gell, "Constrained Optimisation for Switching and Routing
Using Neural Networks

V. Cherkassky, Y-K Park, G. Lee, "ATM Cell Scheduling
for Broadband Switching Systems by Neural Network"

S. Neuhauser, "Hopfield Optimization Techniques Applied
to Routing in Computer Networks"

F. Comellas, R. Roca, "Using Genetic Algorithms to
Design Constant Weight Codes"

P. Leray, "CUBICORT:  A Hardware Simulation of a
Multicolumn Model for 3D Image Analysis, Understanding &
Compression for Digital TV, HDTV & Multimedia"

N. Karunanithi, "A Connectionist Approach for Incorporating
Continuous Code Churn into Software Reliability Growth Models"

A. Lansner, "Hierarchical Clustering Using a Bayesian
Attractor ANN"

A. Holst and A. Lansner, "Diagnosis of Technical Equipment
Using a Bayesian Neural Network"

T. Martinez, G. Rudolph, "A Learning Model for Adaptive Routing"

S. Haykin, L. Li, "16 kbps Nonlinear Adaptive
Differential Pulse Code Modulation"

M. K. Sonmez, T. Adali, "Channel Equalization by
Distribution Learning: The Least Relative Entropy Algorithm"

J. Connor, "Bootstrapping in Time Series Prediction"

A. Kowalczyk and M. Dale, "Isolated Speech Recognition with Low Cost
Neural Networks"

M. Meyer & G. Pfeiffer, "Multilayer Perception Based Decision Feedback
Equalizers Applied to Nonlinear Channels with Intersymbol Interference"

H. Liu & D. Yun, "Self-Organizing Finite State Vector Quantization for
Image Coding"

A. Hasegawa, K. Shibata, K. Itoh, Y. Ichioka, K. Inamura, "Adapting-Size
Neural Network for Character Recognition on X-Ray Films"

A. Mikler, J. Wong, V. Honavar, "Quo Vadis - A Framework for Adaptive
Routing in Very Large High Speed Communication Networks"

Chen-Xiong Zhang,
"Optimal Traffic Routing Using Self-Organization Principle"

S. Kwasny, B. Kalman, A. M. Engebretson, W. Wu,"Real-Time
Identification of Language from Raw Speech Waveforms"

Session 7

 4:00                Board buses for AT&T Worldwide Intelligent Network Center

 5:00                Reception and tour

Session 8

 7:00                Banquet

 8:30                B. Widrow, "Adaptive Filters, Adaptive Neural Nets,
                     and Telecommunications" (Invited talk)

Wednesday            Oct. 20, 1993    Prince William Ballroom

 8:30                Coffee

 9:00                Speaker   Title (Invited Talk)

10:00                Break

Session 9

10:30                J. Connor, "Prediction of Access Line Growth"

11:00                B. P. Yuhas, "Telephone Fraud Detection"

11:30                T. John, "Multistage Information Filtering Using
                     Cascaded Neural Networks"

12:00                M. Jabri, "Temporal Credit Assignment for Continuous
                     Speech Recognition"

12:30                Lunch

Session 10

 1:30                T-D. Chiueh, T-T Tang, L-G Chen, "Vector Quantization Using
                     Tree-Structured Self-Organizing Feature Maps"

 2:00                N. Karunanithi, "Identifying Fault-Prone Software
                     Modules Using Connectionist Networks"

 2:30                D.S.W. Tansley, S. Carter, "Clone Detection in
                     Telecommunications Software Systems:
                     A Neural Net Approach"

 3:00                Break

Session 11

 3:30                L. Lewis, S. Sycamore, "Learning Index Rules & Adaptation
                     Functions for a Communications Network Fault
                     Resolution System"

 4:00                T. Sone, "Using Distributed Neural Networks to
                     Identify Faults in Switching Systems"

 4:30                A. Chattell, "A Neural Network Pre-Processor for a Fault
                     Diagnosis Expert System"

 5:00                Adjourn

Organizing Committee:

General Chair
Josh Alspector
Bellcore, MRE 2P-396
445 South St.
Morristown, NJ 07960-6438
(201) 829-4342
josh at bellcore.com

Program Chair
Rod Goodman
Caltech 116-81
Pasadena, CA 91125
(818) 356-3677
rogo at micro.caltech.edu

Publications Chair
Timothy X Brown
Bellcore, MRE 2E-378
445 South St.
Morristown, NJ 07960-6438
(201) 829-4314
timxb at faline.bellcore.com

Treasurer
Anthony Jayakumar, Bellcore

Events Coordinator
Larry Jackel, AT&T Bell Laboratories

Industry Liaisons
Miklos Boda, Ellemtel
Atul Chhabra, NYNEX
Michael Gell, British Telecom
Lee Giles, NEC
Thomas John, Southwestern Bell
Adam Kowalczyk, Telecom Australia
Tadashi Sone, NTT

University Liaisons
S Y Kung, Princeton University
Tzi-Dar Chiueh, National Taiwan University

INNS Liaison
Bernie Widrow, Stanford University

IEEE Liaison
Steve Weinstein, Bellcore

Conference Administrator
Betty Greer
Bellcore, MRE 2P-295
445 South St.
Morristown, NJ 07960
(201) 829-4993
(fax) 829-5888
bg1 at faline.bellcore.com

International Workshop on Applications of
Neural Networks to Telecommunications
Princeton, NJ
October 18-20, 1993

Registration Form

Name: _____________________________________________________________

Institution: __________________________________________________________

Mailing Address:

Telephone: ______________________________

Fax: ____________________________________

E-mail: _____________________________________________________________

Registration Fees: includes reception, banquet, refreshment breaks, AT&T tour,
and both paper and electronic proceedings available at the conference.

| | Early (Before Sept. 15, 1993)     $350
| | Late  (After Sept. 15, 1993)      $450
| | Full time students with ID        $150

Enclosed is a check or money order in US Dollars for $___________
Please make check payable to IWANNT*93

Hotel arrangements with Nassau Inn at (609) 921-9385

Mail to:

Betty Greer, IWANNT*93
Bellcore, MRE 2P-295
445 South St.