NIPS Workshop

Christopher G. Atkeson cga at ai.mit.edu
Tue Nov 16 15:08:16 EST 1993

NIPS*93 Workshop:       Memory-based Methods for Regression and Classification
=================

Intended Audience:      Researchers interested in memory-based methods, locality in learning
==================

Organizers:
===========

Chris Atkeson       Tom Dietterich      Andrew Moore      Dietrich Wettschereck
cga at ai.mit.edu      tgd at cs.orst.edu     awm at cs.cmu.edu    wettscd at cs.orst.edu

Program:
========

Local, memory-based learning methods store all or most of the training
data and predict new points by analyzing nearby training points (e.g.,
nearest neighbor, radial-basis functions, local linear methods).  The
purpose of this workshop is to determine the state of the art in
memory-based learning methods and to assess current progress on
important open problems.  Specifically, we will consider such issues
as how to determine distance metrics and smoothing parameters, how to
regularize memory-based methods, how to obtain error bars on
predictions, and how to scale to large data sets.  We will also
compare memory-based methods with methods (such as multi-layer
perceptrons) that construct global decision boundaries or regression
surfaces, and we will explore current theoretical models of local
learning methods.  By the close of the workshop, we will have
assembled an agenda of open problems requiring further research.

This workshop meets both days.  Friday will be devoted primarily to
classification tasks, and Saturday will be devoted primarily to
regression tasks.

Please send us email if you would like to present something.

Current schedule:

Friday:

7:30-7:45 Introduction (Dietterich)
7:45-8:15 Leon Bottou
8:15-8:30 Discussion
8:30-9:00 David Lowe
9:00-9:30 Discussion

4:30-5:00 Patrice Simard
5:00-5:15 Discussion
5:15-5:45 Dietrich Wettschereck
5:45-6:15 John Platt
6:15-6:30 Discussion

Saturday:

7:30-8:00 Trevor Hastie
8:00-8:15 Discussion
8:15-8:45 Doyne Farmer
8:45-9:00 Discussion
9:00-9:30 5-minute descriptions by other participants

4:30-5:00 Chris Atkeson
5:00-5:30 Frederico Girosi
5:30-6:00 Andrew Moore
6:00-6:30 Discussion