ACL-94 Call for papers

Philip Resnik - Sun Microsystems Labs BOS Philip.Resnik at East.Sun.COM
Mon Nov 1 10:28:18 EST 1993

Hi,

I'd like to follow up on Gary Cottrell's note about the ACL-94
conference with two brief comments.  First, statistical (and
statistical-symbolic) approaches to NLP are an important area right
now, and people doing that kind of work (of which I am one) share a
great many concerns with members of this list.  Nonetheless, there
seems to be little communication between the groups.  As an example,
David Wolpert and David Wolf's recent reports (on estimating entropy,
etc. given finite samples), publicized on this list, target an issue
of central concern to people doing statistical NLP, yet I suspect that
few computational linguists have come across them.

Second, I want to draw your attention to the ACL conference's student
sessions (buried in the middle of the call for papers).  These
sessions are intended to give students a chance to present work in
progress, as opposed to completed work, particularly so they can get
feedback from more senior members of the computational linguistics
community with whom they might not otherwise come into contact. The
deadline is somewhat later than for the ACL main sessions (February
1), and the submissions are reviewed by a committee comprising both
students and faculty members.  It's a very useful forum, by no means
inferior to the main sessions of the conference, and I STRONGLY
encourage students doing language-related connectionist work to get
involved.

  Philip