correction: 5th edition of neural network intro book

Patrick van der Smagt smagt at fwi.uva.nl
Sun Jan 31 07:42:57 EST 1993

Excuse!

It appears that galba's ftp manager (the chap with the PassWord) changed
the ftp site; previously, when you logged in on galba, a "cd pub"
was done.  This is changed for now, such that the instructions for
getting

The fifth edition of the neural network introductory text

	    An Introduction to Neural Networks

	  Ben Kr\"ose and Patrick van der Smagt
		Dept. of Computer Systems
	         University of Amsterdam

are now:
To retrieve the document by anonymous ftp :

 Unix> ftp galba.mbfys.kun.nl (or ftp 131.174.82.73)
 Name (galba.mbfys.kun.nl <yourname>)  anonymous
 331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
 Password  <your login name>
 ftp> bin
 ftp> cd pub/neuro-intro
 ftp> get neuro-intro.400.ps.Z
 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for neuro-intro.400.ps.Z (xxxxxx bytes).
 ftp> bye
 Unix> uncompress neuro-intro.400.ps.Z
 Unix> lpr -s neuro-intro.400.ps	;; optionally

There is a possibility that the previous state (where a "cd neuro-intro"
instead of "cd pub/neuro-intro" must be done) will be restored in future.
Be forewarned.

The file neuro-intro.400.ps.Z is the manuscript for 400dpi printers.
If you have a 300dpi printer, get neuro-intro.300.ps.Z instead.
The 1991 version is still available as neuro-intro.1991.ps.Z.  1991 Is
not the #dots per inch!  We don't have such good printers here.

Do preview the manuscript before you print it, since otherwise 131
pages of virginal paper are wasted.

Some systems cannot handle the large postscript file (around 2M).
On Unix systems it helps to give lpr the "-s" flag, such that the
postscript file is not spooled but linked (see man lpr).  On others,
you may have no choice but extract (chunks of) pages manually and print
them separately.  Unix filters like pstops, psselect, and psxlate
(the source code of the latter is available from various ftp sites)
can be used to select pages to be printed.  Alternatively, print from
your previewer.  Better still, don't print at all!

Enjoy!

							Patrick

PS the length of some chapters reflect the focus of the research
in our group.  E.g., chapter 6 is ridiculously short (which was brought
to my attention) and needs improvement.  Next time.