RE> quantum neural computer announcement

Alexis Wieland alexis at CS.UCLA.EDU
Tue Jan 12 14:22:27 EST 1993

> Chaos and quantum mechanics are not equivalent; ...
> ...  This kind of effect cannot be produced by a chaotic,
> deterministic system of particles.  However, one can simulate a quantum
> system on an ordinary computer by solving Schroedinger's equation
> numerically and randomly choosing measurement results with probability
> given by the squared magnitude of the wave function.

To pick a nit:
Since a correctly operating (pseudo) random number generator on a
(conventional) computer *is* "produced by a chaotic, deterministic
system", your assertion that you can use a computer to solve
Schroedinger's equations and then select (pseudo) randomly based on
the resulting probability distribution is equivalent to saying that
you *can* produce this effect using a (chaotic) deterministic system.

I would claim that Mike Dyer's assertion, at least at the intentionally
"hand-waving" degree that it was presented, remains valid:
  a) it is far from clear that quantum effects are required to create
	"machine intelligence", but even if they are
  b) it is far from clear that functionally equivalent computational
	effects can not be generated by a Turing machine

- alexis.