apologies

Noel Sharkey N.E.Sharkey at dcs.ex.ac.uk
Thu Jan 7 06:29:58 EST 1993

My apologies for the delay in responding to the many of you who sent
in abstracts for the AISB WORKSHOP ON CONNECTIONISM, COGNITION, AND THE
NEW AI for the 12th December Deadline. On all of the other
advertisements that appeared the deadline was January, 12th. This was
a clerical error on my part - sorry.

So I will let all of the submittee's know the outcome of the reviews
as soon as possible after the closing date of January, 12th. I have
enclosed the full advert below for those interested.

WORKSHOP ON CONNECTIONISM, COGNITION AND A NEW AI

A workshop will be held on March, 30th at the 9th Biennial Conference
on Artificial Intelligence (AISB-93) at the University of Birmingham,
England organised by the Society for the Study of Artificial
Intelligence and Simulation of Behaviour (SSAISB).

A number of recent developments in Connectionist Research have strong
implications for the future of AI and the study of Cognition. Among
the most important are developments in Learning, Representation, and
Productivity (or Generalisation). The aim of the workshop would be to
focus on how these developments may change the way we look at AI and
the study of Cognition. Our goal is to have a lively and invigorating
debate on the state-of-the-art.

SUGGESTED TOPICS INCLUDE (BUT ARE NOT RESTRICTED TO).

	* Connectionist representation
	* Generalisation and Transfer of Knowledge
	* Learning Machines and models of human deveopmental.
	* Symbolic Learning versus Connectionist learning
	* Advantages of Connectionist/Symbolic hybrids.
	* Modelling Cognitive Neuropsychology
	* Connectionist modelling of Creativity and music
		(or other arts).

DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION:

12th January, 1992

ORGANISER
Noel Sharkey
Centre for Connection Science,
Computer Science, Exeter.

COMMITTEE
Andy Clark (Sussex).
Glyn Humphries (Birmingham)
Kim Plunkett (Oxford)
Chris Thornton (Sussex)

WORKSHOP ENTRANCE:

Attendance at the workshop will be limited to 50 or 60 places, so please
LET US KNOW AS SOON AS POSSIBLE IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO ATTEND, and
to which of the following categories you belong.

DISCUSSION PAPERS
Acceptance of discussion papers will be decided on the basis of
extended abstracts (try to keep them under 500 words please) clearly
specifying a 15 to 20 minute discussion topic for oral presentation.
There will also be a small number of invited contributors.

ORDINARY PARTICIPANTS
A limited number places will be available for participants who
wish to sit in on the discussion but do not wish to present a
paper. But please get in early with a short note saying what is your
purpose in attending.

Please send submissions to

Noel E. Sharkey,
Centre for Connection Science