Neural computing ideas ...

Hideyuki Cateau cateau at tkyux.phys.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Nov 26 07:14:43 EST 1992

Bard Ermentrout writes:

>Bacterial cultures in a nutrient depleted medium with inhibited
>motility produce fractal colonies that have the same fractal
>dimension as diffusion-limited aggregation processes.  However the
>mechanism for one is totally different from the other.  All Hopf
>bifurcations from rest scale in the smae fashion.  All of these
>examples are consequences of the fact that many mathematical
>phenomena obey fixed scaling laws.   But to say that because backprop
>and humnan memory learn with the same scaling laws implies that backprop
>has something to do with real learning is at best specious.  Just becausee
>two phenomena scale the same way doenst mean that the mechanisms are
>identical.

	It is easy to find good examples just like it is easy to find
bad ones.  Ising model of the magnetism is really simpified model.  No one
might be able to predict this model is a very good abstraction of the real
complex material.   However, the scaling behavior in the vicinity of the
critical point of metal is correctly understood by Ising model.  The model
of the superconductivity proposed by B.C.S. was also a good model.  It deepen
the understanding of the superconductivity of the real material.  There are
countless number of good examples as well as bad examples.   So it does not
seem to make sense to judge that our proposal is a bad one being based on  the
fact that there are many bad examples in the world.

	As he said it is true that there are various kinds of scaling behavior
in nature.   There is a potential danger that we are incorrectly convinced
that two of them are derived from the same mechanism just because the values
of the exponent coincide each other.  But we are not only based on the
accordance of the exponents but also based on other circumstances in which
we are working.

       As I have noted in the original mail,  the reason for the
slowing  down of the learning pace is considered to be an interfarence between
different items which are memorized in the brain.   Back prop slows down
by the same reason.  The configuration of the connection weights Wij which
is good for one vector to memorize is not good for another vector to memorize
in general.  Back prop must find out common grounds to memorize serveral items.
It costs time and slows down the memory. At least for us, under these
circumstances,  it seems natural to expect an analogy between the two slowing
downs.  Then we performed a simulation to obtain a plausible result.

       Watching one aspect of the matter is always dangerous.  Taking a very
simple example, we use a trigonometric function when we measure the hieght of
a tall tree.  On the other hand, we also have a trigonometric function when we
solve the wave eqution.   Of course it is unnatural to expect some deep
connection between the two situations.   But for our case it is natural at
least to us.

      We agree that the evidences might still be not enough.   Our work is
on the process of exploring more detailed ananlogy between the two systems,
the brain and the back prop.   If the result of our simulation were negative,
the exploring program had quickly reached the end.  Our conclusion in that
case would have been that there were at least one evidence which indicated
back prop was not a good model for our brain. But, at this level of
exploration, we think we have got a plausible evidence and it is worth
reporting.   In the future, we might find an aspect which is not common
between the back prop and brain.  To reach such conclusion is also meaningful
because  our purpose is not to prove that the back prop is the best model of
the brain but to know to what extent the back prop is a good model of our
brain.  We think that it is the  starting point of the understanding of
the brain based on the neural network models.

H.Cateau