Composite networks

pratt@cs.rutgers.edu pratt at cs.rutgers.edu
Tue Mar 3 17:46:38 EST 1992

P.J. Hampson asks:

  >From STAY8026 at iruccvax.ucc.ie Mon Mar  2 09:45:00 1992
  >Subject: Composite networks
  >Hi,
  >
  >I am interested in modelling tasks in which invariant information from
  >input-output pairs.  Thus I want to use previously extracted regularity to
  >influence current processing.  Does anyone think this is feasible??

Papers on how networks can be constructed modularly (source and target have
different topologies, are responsible for different classes) include:
[Waibel et al., IEEASSP], [Pratt & Kamm, IJCNN91], [Pratt et al., AAAI91],
  [Pratt, CLNL92].

The working title and abstract for my upcoming PhD thesis (to be described
in [Pratt, 1992b]) are as follows:

	      Transferring Previously Learned Back-Propagation
		   Neural Networks to New Learning Tasks

				Lori Pratt

      Neural network learners traditionally extract most of their information
      from a set of training data.  If training data is in short supply, the
      learned classifier may perform poorly. Although this problem can be
      addressed partly by carefully choosing network parameters, this process
      is ad hoc and requires expertise and manual intervention by a system
      designer.

      Several symbolic and neural network inductive learners have explored
      how a domain theory which supplements training data can be
      automatically incorporated into the training process to bias learning.
      However, research to date in both fields has largely ignored an
      important potential knowledge source: classifiers that have been
      trained previously on related tasks.  If new classifiers were able to
      build directly on previous results, then training speed, performance,
      and the ability to effectively utilize small amounts of training data
      could potentially be substantially improved.  This thesis introduces
      the problem of {\em transfer} of information from a trained learner to
      a new learning task.  It also presents an algorithm for transfer
      between neural networks.  Empirical results from several domains
      demonstrate that this algorithm can improve learning speed on a
      variety of tasks.

This will be published in part as [Pratt, 1992].
						    --Lori