Composite networks

Eric Melz emelz at cognet.ucla.edu
Tue Mar 3 14:39:32 EST 1992

>I am interested in modelling tasks in which invariant information from
>input-output pairs.  Thus I want to use previously extracted regularity to
>influence current processing.  Does anyone think this is feasible??

I just submitted a paper to the upcoming Cognitive Science Conference entitled
"Developing Microfeatures by Analogy".  The paper describes how a localist
constraint-satisfaction model of analogical mapping can be used to guide
the formation of the internal representations developed by backpropagation.
Applied to Hinton's (1986) model of family-tree learning, this hybrid model
exhibits near-perfect generalization performance when as many as 25% of the
training cases are removed from the training corpus, compared to near 0%
generalization when only backprop is used.  If you (or anyone else) are
interested in obtaining a hardcopy of this paper, send email directly to me.

Eric Melz
UCLA Department of Psychology