Pellionisz' "Open Letter"

Kiyoto Ishimaru ishimaru at hamamatsu-pc.ac.jp
Sat Mar 7 07:58:59 EST 1992

Dear Moderator:

The recent response of Dr. Arbib brought my attention.  The following is
my opinion about the issue:

    1) Citing or not-citing in a paper should not be decided based on
       KINDNESS to earlier related researches, but rather KINDNESS to
       those who are supposed to read or to come across the prospective
       paper.

    2) Similarity or dissimilarity argument, based on the "subjective"
       Riemannian space, lasts forever without any positive results.
       The most important thing is who was the first person having
       brought the tensor analysis "technique" into NN field. This
       should be discussed.

    3) Political or social issue, such as Japan-bashing and fierce
       competition in R&D World-wide, should not be taken into account
       on this issue.  This kind of discussion style does not bring any
       fruitful results, but makes the issue more complicated and rather
       worse, and intangible.

    4) Dr Amari's comments in his letter, quoted by Dr. Pellionisz,

          "Indeed, when I wrote that paper, I thought to refer
           to your paper", and " But if I did so, I could only state
           that it is nothing to do with the geometrical appraoch
           that I initiated"

       may result in the conclusion: If Dr. Pellionisz' paper were
       nothing to do with Dr. Amari's, citing Dr. Pellionisz' would
       not have come across in his mind at all(but he actually did
       think over). Direct public comments from Dr. Amari is urged on
       this respect and others in order for both of them to get a
       fair jugement.

Please be sure that I made the comment with an awkward feeling due to
lack of deep background with respect to the tensor analysis effect on NN
field.  However, I am pleased with expressing my self on this e-mail.
Thank you.

Sincerely Yours

Kiyoto Ishimaru
Dept of Computer Science