Open Letter - Response

cgq@ornl.gov cgq at ornl.gov
Mon Feb 24 07:04:48 EST 1992

[[ Editor's Note: Here is one response to the recent issue.  Compare this
with one later in this issue of the Digest. -PM ]]

Dear Neuron-Digest Moderator - Peter:

The "Open letter to Dr. Sun-Ichi Amari" section of the most recent digest
issue is an example of a very serious scientific problem that plagues
many fields.  It is ABSOLUTELY UNETHICAL to not provide and acknowlegde
references to prior, related research when publishing a paper; especially
when one is aware of the related work.  Dr. Pellionisz is so correct when
he says:

 "The main issue, that of intellectual priority and proper citation,
affects all of us in research and forms the foundation of the modern
scientific tradition."

As a researcher I hold this tradition above all others.

Thank You for bring this subject to our attention.

Chuck Glover
cgq at ornl.gov
Oak Ridge National Lab