Paper available

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at ICSI.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Apr 13 15:32:48 EDT 1992

The following short paper is available from the ICSI techreport archive.
Instructions for retrieval can be found at the end of this message.
Please ask me for hardcopies only if you don't have access to ftp.

The paper will be presented at the Workshop on Integrating Neural and Symbolic
Processes at AAAI-92 later this year.  We are making it generally available
mainly for the benefit of several people who had expressed interest in our
results in the past.

--Andreas

tr-92-025.ps.Z

	Tree Matching with Recursive Distributed Representations
	Andreas Stolcke and Dekai Wu
	TR-92-025
	April 1992

		We present an approach to the structure unification
		problem using distributed representations of
		hierarchical objects.  Binary trees are encoded using
		the recursive auto-association method (RAAM), and a
		unification network is trained to perform the tree
		matching operation on the RAAM representations.  It
		turns out that this restricted form of unification can
		be learned without hidden layers and producing good
		generalization if we allow the error signal from the
		unification task to modify both the unification network
		and the RAAM representations themselves.

Instructions for retrieving ICSI technical reports via ftp.

Replace tr-XX-YYY with the appropriate TR number.

	unix% ftp ftp.icsi.berkeley.edu
	Connected to icsic.ICSI.Berkeley.EDU.
	220 icsic FTP server (Version 6.16 Mon Jan 20 13:24:00 PST 1992) ready.
	Name (ftp.icsi.berkeley.edu:): anonymous
	331 Guest login ok, send e-mail address as password.
	Password: your_name at your_machine
	230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
	ftp> cd /pub/techreports
	250 CWD command successful.
	ftp> binary
	200 Type set to I.
	ftp> get tr-XX-YYY.ps.Z
	200 PORT command successful.
	150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for tr-XX-YYY.ps.Z (ZZZZ bytes).
	226 Transfer complete.
	272251 bytes received in ZZ seconds (ZZZ Kbytes/s)
	ftp> quit
	221 Goodbye.
	unix% uncompress tr-XX-YYY.ps.Z
	unix% lpr -Pyour_printer tr-XX-YYY.ps