report available

mclennan@cs.utk.edu mclennan at cs.utk.edu
Wed Oct 2 15:10:21 EDT 1991

    ** Please do not forward to other boards.  Thank you. **

The following technical report has been placed in the Neuroprose
archives at Ohio State.  Ftp instructions follow the abstract.
N.B.  The uncompressed file is long (2.07 MB), so you may have to
use the -s (symbolic link) option on lpr to print it.

      Gabor Representations of Spatiotemporal Visual Images

                         Bruce MacLennan
                   Computer Science Department
                     University of Tennessee
                       Knoxville, TN 37996
                      maclennan at cs.utk.edu

                   Technical Report CS-91-144

                            ABSTRACT:

We review Gabor's Uncertainty Principle and the limits it  places
on the representation of any signal.  Representations in terms of
Gabor elementary functions (Gaussian-modulated sinusoids), which
are optimal in terms of this uncertainty principle, are compared
with Fourier and wavelet representations.  We also review
Daugman's evidence for representations based on two-dimensional
Gabor functions in mammalian visual cortex.  We suggest three-
dimensional Gabor elementary functions as a model for motion
selectivity in complex and hypercomplex cells in visual cortex.
This model also suggests a computational role for low frequency
oscillations (such as the alpha rhythm) in visual cortex.

A preliminary version of this paper was presented at the workshop
``Foundational Methods for Behavioral and Computational Neurosci-
ences,'' Georgetown University, May 13-15, 1991.

                        FTP INSTRUCTIONS
Either use the Getps script, or do the following:

     unix> ftp archive.cis.ohio-state.edu (or 128.146.8.52)
     Name: anonymous
     Password: neuron
     ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
     ftp> binary
     ftp> get maclennan.gabor.ps.Z
     ftp> quit
     unix> uncompress maclennan.gabor.ps.Z
     unix> lpr -s maclennan.gabor.ps (or however you print postscript)

If you need hardcopy, then send your request to:

                       library at cs.utk.edu

     Bruce MacLennan
     Department of Computer Science
     107 Ayres Hall