Genetic algorithms and very fast simulated re-annealing: A comparison

Lester Ingber ingber at umiacs.UMD.EDU
Mon Nov 18 14:50:56 EST 1991

connectionists at cs.cmu.edu

	*** Please do not forward to any other lists ***

Bruce Rosen and I have written the following paper, and placed it
in the Neuroprose archive as ingber.saga.ps.tar.Z.  Please see
the note at the end of this file to extract the text and figures.

Genetic algorithms and very fast simulated re-annealing: A comparison

                          Lester Ingber
  Science Transfer Corporation, P.O. Box 857, McLean, VA 22101
                      ingber at umiacs.umd.edu

                               and

                           Bruce Rosen
Department of Computer & Information Sciences, University of Delaware,
                        Newark, DE 19716
                       brosen at cis.udel.edu

     We compare Genetic Algorithms (GA) with a functional  search
method,  Very Fast Simulated Re-Annealing (VFSR) that not only is
efficient in its  search  strategy,  but  also  is  statistically
guaranteed  to  find the function optima.  GA previously has been
demonstrated to be competitive with other standard Boltzmann-type
simulated  annealing techniques.  Presenting a suite of six stan-
dard test functions to GA and VFSR codes from  previous  studies,
without  any  additional fine tuning, strongly suggests that VFSR
can be expected to be orders of magnitude more efficient than GA.

To ftp this file from Neuroprose to your local machine, follow these
directions, typing in commands between single quotes (without the
quotes included).  Start with 'cd /tmp' as noted below, so that
you won't have to be concerned with deleting all these files after
you're finished printing.

local% cd /tmp

local% 'ftp archive.cis.ohio-state.edu'
[local% 'ftp 128.146.8.52']

Name (archive.cis.ohio-state.edu:yourloginname): 'anonymous'
Password (archive.cis.ohio-state.edu:anonymous): 'yourloginname'

ftp> 'cd pub/neuroprose'
ftp> 'binary'
ftp> 'get ingber.saga.ps.tar.Z'

ftp> 'quit'
local%

Now, at your local machine:
'uncompress ingber.saga.ps.tar.Z' will leave "ingber.saga.ps.tar".
'tar xf ingber.saga.ps.tar' will leave a directory "saga.dir".
'cd saga.dir' will put you in a directory with the text.ps file
and 6 figX.ps files, where X = 1-6.  If you 'ls -l' you should get
-rw-r--r--  1 ingber       4928 Nov 17 06:49 fig1.ps
-rw-r--r--  1 ingber       6949 Nov 17 06:49 fig2.ps
-rw-r--r--  1 ingber      14432 Nov 17 06:50 fig3.ps
-rw-r--r--  1 ingber       5311 Nov 17 06:50 fig4.ps
-rw-r--r--  1 ingber       7552 Nov 17 06:50 fig5.ps
-rw-r--r--  1 ingber       6222 Nov 17 06:50 fig6.ps
-rw-r--r--  1 ingber      85945 Nov 17 06:52 text.ps
(with your name instead of mine).  Now you can 'lpr [-P..] *.ps' to
a PostScript laserprinter.  This will print out 18 pages:
12 pages of text + 6 graphs.

If you'd like a copy of the final version when this paper is
published, just drop me a note with the word
	sagareprint
(all caps or all lower case O.K.) anyplace in your email, and I'll oblige.

Lester Ingber

        |           Prof. Lester Ingber            |
        | Science Transfer Corporation             |
        | P.O. Box 857                703-759-2769 |
        | McLean, VA 22101   ingber at umiacs.umd.edu |