Algorithms for Principal Components Analysis

Reiner Lenz reiner at isy.liu.se
Mon Nov 18 00:50:47 EST 1991

Here is our contribution to the computation of Principle Components. We
developed
	1) a system that learns the principle components in parallel

			@article{Len_proof:91,
			        author ={Reiner Lenz and Mats \"Osterberg},
			        title="Computing the Karhunen-Loeve
expansion with a parallel,
		                  unsupervised filter system",
			        journal = "Neural Computations",
			        year = "Accepted"
			}

	2) Recently we modified this system to overcome some of the
drawbacks of the
		standard principle components approach (such as mixing eigenvectors
		belonging to the same eigenvector etc).

			@techreport{Len_4o:91,
			        author ={Reiner Lenz and Mats \"Osterberg},
			        title="A new method for unsupervised
linear feature extraction using
			                  forth order moments",
			        institution={Link\"oping University,
ISY, S-58183 Link\"oping},
			        note="Internal Report",
			        year="1991"
			}

These systems are part of our work on group theoretical methods in
image science as described in

			@article{Len_jos:89,
			        author ="Reiner Lenz",
			        title ="A Group Theoretical Model of
Feature Extraction",
			        journal="J. Optical Soc. America A",
			        volume="6",
			        number="6",
			        pages="827-834",
			        year = "1989"
			}

			@article{Len:90,
 			       author= "Reiner Lenz",
			        title =  "Group-Invariant Pattern Recognition",
			        journal = "Pattern Recognition",
			        volume="23",
			        number="1/2",
			        pages = "199-218",
			        year = "1990"
			}

			@article{Len_nn:91,
			        author ="Reiner Lenz",
			        title="On probabilistic Invariance",
			        journal = "Neural Networks",
			        volume="4",
			        number="5",
			        year = "1991"

			}

			@book{Len:90ln,
			        author= "Reiner Lenz",
			        title =  "Group Theoretical Methods in
Image Processing",
			        publisher = "Springer Verlag",
			        series = "Lecture Notes in Computer
Science (Vol. 413)",
			        address = "Heidelberg, Berlin, New York",
			        year = "1990"
			}