principal components

Gary Cottrell gary at cs.UCSD.EDU
Mon Nov 11 13:52:50 EST 1991

>Date: Fri, 8 Nov 91 10:02:34 -0800
>From: Ray White <white at teetot.acusd.edu>
>To: Connectionists at CS.CMU.EDU
>
>(Where "that" refers to my 'Competitive Hebbian Learning', to be published
>in Neural Networks, 1992, in response to Yoshio Yamamoto.)
>
>The Sanger paper that I think of in this connection is the 'Neural Networks '
>paper, T. Sanger (1989) Optimal unsupervised learning..., Neural Networks, 2,
>459-473.
>As I understand it, Sanger's 'Generalized Hebbian learning' trains units
>to find successively, the principle components of the input, starting with
>the most important and working on down, depending on the number of units
>you use.
>
>Competitive Hebbian Learning, on the other hand, is a
>simpler algorithm which trains units to learn simultaneously (approximately)
>orthogonal linear combinations of the components of the input.  With this
>algorithm, one does not get the princple components nicely separated out,
>but one does get trained units of roughly equal importance.

>   Ray White	(white at teetot.acusd.edu)
>   Depts. of Physics & Computer Science
>   University of San Diego

Back prop when used with linear nets, does just this also. Since the
optimal technique is PCA in the linear case with a quadratic cost
function, bp is just a way of directly performing this and is not an
improvement over Karhunen-Loeve (except, perhaps in being space
efficient).  More recently, Mathilde Mougeot has used the fact that bp
is doing PCA to discover a fast algorithm for the quadratic case, and
she also has shown that bp can be effectively used for other norms.