simple pictures, tough problems (language grounding)

Stevan Harnad harnad at Princeton.EDU
Fri Jul 19 10:20:55 EDT 1991

Ross Gayler <ross at psych.psy.uq.oz.au> wrote:

> I would appreciate any references to more formal arguments for the
> necessity (or otherwise) of being able to manipulate the environment
> (or perceptual apparatus) in order to learn 'natural' concepts.

Try:

(1) Harnad, S. (1990) The Symbol Grounding Problem. Physica D 42: 335-346.

(2) Harnad, S., Hanson, S.J. & Lubin, J. (1991) Categorical Perception and
the Evolution of Supervised Learning in Neural Nets. Presented at
American Association for Artificial Intelligence Symposium on Symbol
Grounding: Problems and Practice. Stanford University, March 1991.

(3) Harnad, S. (1992) Connecting Object to Symbol in Modeling Cognition.
In: A. Clarke and  R. Lutz (Eds) "Connectionism in Context" Springer
Verlag (forthcoming)

These articles are retrievable by anonymous ftp from directory
pub/harnad on princeton.edu (IP: 128.112.128.1) in binary mode
as the compressed files:

(1) harnad90.sgproblem.Z

(2) harnad91.cpnets.Z

(3) harnad92.symbol.object.Z