TR available from neuroprose; feedforward nets

Eduardo Sontag sontag at hilbert.rutgers.edu
Thu Jan 24 16:16:17 EST 1991

I have deposited in the neuroprose archive the extended version of my NIPS-90
Proceedings paper.  The title is:

   "FEEDFORWARD NETS FOR INTERPOLATION AND CLASSIFICATION"

and the abstract is:

 "This paper deals with single-hidden-layer feedforward nets, studying various
 measures of classification power and interpolation capability.  Results are
 given showing that direct input to output connections in threshold nets double
 the recognition but not the interpolation power, while using sigmoids rather
 than thresholds allows (at least) doubling both."

(NOTE: This is closely related to report SYCON-90-03, which was put in the
archive last year under the title "sontag.capabilities.ps.Z".  No point in
retrieving unless you found the other paper of interest.  The current paper
besically adds a few results on interpolation.)

-eduardo

To obtain copies of the postscript file, please use Jordan Pollack's service:

Example:
unix> ftp cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu          # (or ftp 128.146.8.62)
Name (cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu:): anonymous
Password (cheops.cis.ohio-state.edu:anonymous): <ret>
ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
ftp> binary
ftp> get
(remote-file) sontag.nips90.ps.Z
(local-file) sontag.nips90.ps.Z
ftp> quit
unix> uncompress sontag.nips90.ps.Z
unix> lpr -P(your_local_postscript_printer) sontag.nips90.ps

If you have any difficulties with the above, please send e-mail to
sontag at hilbert.rutgers.edu.   DO NOT "reply" to this message, please.

NOTES about FTP'ing, etc:

(1) The last time I posted something, I forgot to include the ".Z" in the file
name in the above "remote-file" line, and I received many messages telling me
that FTP didn't find the file.  Sorry for that.  Please note that most files
in the archive are compressed, and people may forget to mention the ".Z".

(2) I also received some email (and saw much discussion in a bboard)
concerning the printer errors with the file.  Please note that postscript
files sometimes require a fair amount of memory from the printer, especially
if they contain illustrations, and many smaller printers do not have enough
memory.  This may result on some pages not being printed, or the print job not
being done at all.  If you experience this problem with papers you retrieve
(mine or from others), I suggest that you ask the author to email you a source
file (e.g.  LaTex) or a postscript file sans figures.  Also, some postscript
files are "nonconforming", and this may cause problems with certain printers.