Vision (What's wrong with Marr's model)

Leonard Uhr uhr at cs.wisc.edu
Wed Jan 16 20:11:04 EST 1991

Expanding on Peter Cariani's reply to Stephen Lehar about earlier brain-like
vision models, I published a Psych Review paper around 1961-63 that briefly
summarized a lot of them, and a book, "Pattern Recognition, Learning and
Thought" (Prentice-Hall, about 1973) that concentrated on one approach.  The
Minsky-Papert book, as people have mentioned, inspired an almost lemming-like
flight away from networks, and traditional AI has indeed been largely
heuristic search through symbolic domains.  But there has always been non-trad-
itional work.  Probably the type of computer vision research that comes closest
to bridging the AI-network gap (which really doesn't exist) is the pyramid
approach I and a number of others have been taking (e.g., see books edited by
Tanimoto and Klinger, Acad. Press, 1980; by Rosenfeld around 1986; and by
Uhr, 1988, Acad. Press).

Len Uhr