peace and platitudes

Jim Bower jbower at smaug.cns.caltech.edu
Mon Jan 7 00:11:23 EST 1991

 	As Terry, Ken, etc., I too think that no one description fits the
goals of everyone on this mailing list.  Some want to build things,
some want to figure out how things are built.  Others would like to
construct a grand formalism that covers it all.  The approach, interests,
convictions between and within each group differ.  Without
question this is our strength.  None of these efforts are trivial and it
is silly to think that one or the other is the more correct interest to
have.  Speaking from my own, somewhat underrepresented corner of
this effort,  I have tried to point out, perhaps a bit too strongly, that
these distinctions exist, that they are significant, and that it is important
that they be recognized and respected.

Jim Bower