A good textbook on neural computation

Geoffrey Hinton hinton at ai.toronto.edu
Fri Jan 4 16:56:48 EST 1991

Ever since the binding fell apart on my copy of Rumelhart and McClelland I
have been looking for a more recent graduate textbook on neural computation
(the artificial kind).  I imagine that quite a few of the other people on this
mailing list have the same problem for their courses.

There are a lot of attempts at textbooks out there, and many of the attempts
are very good in one respect or another, but (in my opinion) none of
them gives good clear coverage of most of the main ideas.  However, I just got
hold of a really good textbook (in my opinion).  It is:

Introduction to the Theory of Neural Computation
 by J. Hertz, A. Krogh and R. Palmer
Addison Wesley, 1991.

The beginning and end of the book are rather biased towards the physicists
view of the world (in my opinion), but the middle covers a lot of the basic
material very nicely.

Geoff Hinton

PS: If you object to getting people's opinions about textbooks, please complain
to me, not to the whole mailing list.