Generic mesoscopic neural networks ... neocortical interactions

Lester Ingber ingber at umiacs.UMD.EDU
Wed Dec 18 09:39:02 EST 1991

        *** Please do not forward to any other lists ***

           Generic mesoscopic neural networks based on
        statistical mechanics of neocortical interactions

                          Lester Ingber

     A series of papers has developed a statistical mechanics  of
neocortical  interactions  (SMNI), deriving aggregate behavior of
experimentally  observed  columns  of  neurons  from  statistical
electrical-chemical  properties  of synaptic interactions, demon-
strating its capability in describing large-scale  properties  of
short-term  memory and electroencephalographic (EEG) systematics.
This methodology also defines an algorithm to construct a  mesos-
copic  neural  network  (MNN),  based  on  realistic  neocortical
processes and parameters, to record patterns  of  brain  activity
and  to  compute the evolution of this system.  Furthermore, this
new algorithm is quite generic, and can be used to similarly pro-
cess  information  in  other systems, especially, but not limited
to, those amenable to modeling by mathematical physics techniques
alternatively  described  by  path-integral  Lagrangians, Fokker-
Planck equations, or Langevin rate equations.   This  methodology
is  made  possible  and  practical  by a confluence of techniques
drawn from SMNI itself, modern methods of  functional  stochastic
calculus  defining nonlinear Lagrangians, Very Fast Simulated Re-
Annealing (VFSR), and parallel-processing computation.

I have placed the above preprint in the Neuroprose
archive as ingber.mnn.ps.Z.  To obtain this paper:

local% ftp archive.cis.ohio-state.edu
[local% ftp 128.146.8.52]
Name (archive.cis.ohio-state.edu:yourloginname): anonymous
Password (archive.cis.ohio-state.edu:anonymous): yourloginname
ftp> cd pub/neuroprose
ftp> binary
ftp> get ingber.mnn.ps.Z
ftp> quit
local% uncompress ingber.mnn.ps.Z
local% lpr [-P..] ingber.mnn.ps
This will print out 8 pages on your PostScript laserprinter.

If you do not have access to ftp, then send me an email request,
and I will email you a PostScript-compressed-uuencoded ascii file with
instructions on how to produce laserprinted copies, just requiring the
additional first step of 'uudecode file'.  Sorry, but I cannot
take on the task of mailing out hardcopies of this paper.

        |           Prof. Lester Ingber            |
        | Science Transfer Corporation             |
        | P.O. Box 857                703-759-2769 |
        | McLean, VA 22101   ingber at umiacs.umd.edu |