Principal Components and Information Theory

Mark Plumbley UDAH256 at oak.cc.kcl.ac.uk
Tue Dec 10 05:56:00 EST 1991

Michael Strintzis writes:
>Could somebody please help me update my bibliography
>on connectionist techniques for Principal Component
>Analysis?

There was an article on connectionists recently from Gary Cottrell
with some PCA references in it.  I also have some work on Information
Theory with implications on PCA (related to work of Linsker):

M. D. Plumbley and F. Fallside, "An Information-Theoretic Approach to
Unsupervised Connectionist Models", Proceedings of the 1988
Connectionist Models Summer School, pp239-245, Morgan Kaufmann, 1988

M. D. Plumbley "On Information Theory and Unsupervised Neural
Networks", Tech Report CUED/F-INFENG/TR.78, Cambridge University
Engineering Department, Cambridge CB2 1PZ, UK. August 1991. (Tech
report version of my Thesis).

The tech report shows that some of the PCA algorithms directly
decrease information loss across the network as they progress.

Mark Plumbley                               <M.Plumbley at oak.cc.kcl.ac.uk>
                                            Tel: [+44|0] 71 873 2241/2234
Centre for Neural Networks                  Fax: [+44|0] 71 873 2017
Department of Mathematics/King's College London/Strand/London WC2R 2LS/UK