Local receptive fields

@neural.att.com at neural.att.com
Wed Oct 31 10:20:23 EST 1990

> I am confused by what appear to be two different usages of the term
> "local receptive fields",....

I also think these two meanings of "local receptive field" is very confusing.
These are two very different concepts.

I guess the notion of local receptive field was introduced by
neurobiologists. They meant "local" in real space, not in feature space.

The region of feature space in which radial basis functions are activated,
Should be called differently to avoid confusion. I think the correct word to
designate the set on which a function takes non-zero values is "support".
Unfortunately, most radial basis functions (such as gaussians) are non-zero
everywhere. How about "activation window", or "activation region".

  -- Yann  Le Cun