Large scale biologically realistic simulations

granger@ICS.UCI.EDU granger at ICS.UCI.EDU
Mon Oct 8 15:42:10 EDT 1990

Dan Hammerstrom's posting of 5 Oct 90 lists three of our recent publications
dealing with computational analyses of the physiology and anatomy of the
olfactory system.  Allow me to add the (relatively recent) reference which
contains our derivation of a novel hierarchical clustering mechanism from
the combined operation of olfactory bulb and cortex, using a Hebb-like
learning rule based on the physiology of synaptic long-term potentiation
(LTP) in olfactory cortex:

 Ambros-Ingerson, J., Granger, R., and Lynch, G. (1990).
 Simulation of paleocortex performs hierarchical clustering.
 Science, 247: 1344-1348.

It should be noted that none of these articles directly addresses issues of
silicon implementation; rather, they provide the computational formalisms
used by Hammerstrom et al. to design their VLSI circuits.  However, the
above Science article does describe the time and space complexity of parallel
implementations of the derived network.

- Richard Granger, Jose Ambros-Ingerson, Gary Lynch
  Center for the Neurobiology of Learning and Memory
  Bonney Center
  University of California
  Irvine, California 92717