tech. rep. available on evolving trail-following organisms

Dr Michael G Dyer dyer at CS.UCLA.EDU
Wed Nov 28 00:29:39 EST 1990

Evolution as a Theme in Artificial Life:  The Genesys/Tracker System*

David Jefferson, Robert Collins, Claus Cooper
Michael Dyer, Margot Flowers, Richard Korf
Charles Taylor, Alan Wang

Abstract

Direct, fine-grained simulation is a promising way of investigating
and modeling natural evolution.  In this paper we show how we can
model a population of organisms as a population of computer programs,
and how the evolutionarily significant activities of organisms
(birth, interaction with the environment, migration, sexual
reproduction with genetic mutation and recombination, and death) can
all be represented by corresponding operations on programs.  We
illustrate these ideas in a system built for the Connection Machine
called Genesys/Tracker, in which artificial "ants" evolve the ability
to perform a complex task.  In less than 100 generations a population
of 64K "random" ants, represented either as finite state automata or
as artificial neural nets, evolve the ability to traverse a winding
broken "trail" in a rectilinear grid environment.  Throughout this
study we pay special attention to methodological issues, such as the
avoidance of representational artifacts, and to biological
verisimilitude.

* To appear in J. D. Farmer, C. Langton, S. Rasmussen and C. Taylor (Eds.),
Artificial Life II, Addison-Wesley, in press.

For a copy of this tech. rep., please send e-mail
to:      valerie at cs.ucla.edu
requesting  "Jefferson et al. -- Evolution as Theme in ALife"
Be sure to include your USA mail address.