Bibliography available

David Chalmers dave at cogsci.indiana.edu
Tue Nov 20 00:16:24 EST 1990

I originally sent this notice to a philosophy list, but somebody suggested
that I send it to connectionists as a lot of the material is relevant,
including about 60 papers on the philosophy of connectionism.
--

For the last year or so, I've been working on a bibliography of recent work
in the philosophy of mind, philosophy of cognitive science, and philosophy

It consists of 861 entries, divided into 4 parts:

1. "First-person" issues (consciousness, qualia, etc)        [218 entries]
2. "Third-person" issues (content, psych explanation, etc)   [346 entries]
3. Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence                     [155 entries]
4. Miscellaneous topics                                      [142 entries]

About half of the entries are annotated with a 1-or-2-line summary, and
occasionally criticism.  The rest I either haven't read, or haven't got
around to annotating yet.  Of course none of the bibliographies are complete,
but part 4 is particularly feeble, without any attempt at thoroughly covering
the areas involved.    The vast bulk of the bibliography consists of papers
and books from the last 10-15 years, although a little earlier material is
included where it is directly relevant to current concerns.

I've enclosed a section-by-section summary below.  To get a copy, write to
me at dave at cogsci.indiana.edu.  The files take up about 120K in total.

Dave Chalmers       (dave at cogsci.indiana.edu)
Center for Research on Concepts and Cognition
Indiana University.

Bibliography: Recent Work in the Philosophy of Mind and Cognition

Compiled by David J. Chalmers, Center for Research on Concepts and Cognition,
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 47408.  (c) 1990 David J. Chalmers.

Summary
-------

1.   "First-person" issues (consciousness, qualia, etc) [218]

1.1  Subjectivity (Nagel) [26]
1.2  The Knowledge Argument (Jackson) [13]
1.3  Functionalism and Qualia (including Absent Qualia, etc) [28]
1.4  Inverted Spectrum [12]
1.5  Qualia, General [18]
1.6  Are Programs Enough? (Searle)  [32]
1.7  Machines and Conscious Mentality (other) [15]
1.8  Mind-Body Problem (Misc) [10]
1.9  Zombies and Other Minds [4]
1.10 Consciousness -- Eliminativist Perspectives [10]
1.11 Consciousness -- Functional Accounts [21]
1.12 Consciousness, General [17]
1.13 Subjective Mental Content [4]
1.14 Dualism [8]

2.   "Third-person" issues (content, psych explanation, etc) [346]

2.1  The Reality of Propositional Psychology [50]
2.1a     General [12]
2.1b     Sententialism (esp. Fodor) [16]
2.1c     Instrumentalism (Dennett) [17]
2.1d     Syntactic Functionalism (Stich) [5]
2.2  Eliminativism, Psychology & Neuroscience (esp. Churchlands) [29]
2.2a     Eliminative Materialism [16]
2.2b     Psychology & Neuroscience [13]
2.3  Narrow/Wide Content [53]
2.3a     Why Reference is not in the Head (Putnam) [9]
2.3b     Implications for Psychology (Burge, Fodor) [20]
2.3c     The Status of Narrow Content [12]
2.3d     Miscellaneous  [12]
2.4  Causal Theories of Content [37]
2.4a     Information-Theoretic Accounts (Dretske) [11]
2.4b     Causal Accounts, General [11]
2.4c     Teleological Approaches (Millikan) [8]
2.4d     Situation Semantics (Barwise/Perry) [7]
2.5  Theories of Content, Misc [13]
2.6  Representation (General) [13]
2.7  Supervenience, Reduction, Mental Causation [46]
2.7a     Supervenience (Kim, etc) [13]
2.7b     Anomalous Monism (Davidson) [14]
2.7c     Token Identity (Davidson, etc) [4]
2.7d     Mental Causation [8]
2.7e     Mental/Physical, Misc [7]
2.8  Functionalism (General) [31]
2.9  Computationalism (General) [17]
2.10 Psychological Explanation, Misc [7]
2.11 Perception/Modularity/Plasticity (Fodor, Churchland) [12]
2.12 Nativism (Chomsky, etc) [22]
2.13 Misc Phil of Mind [16]

3.   Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence [155]

3.1  Can Machines be Conscious? -- see 1.6, 1.7.
3.2  Computationalism as Psychological Explanation -- see 2.9.
3.3  The Turing Test [9]
3.4  Godelian Arguments (Lucas) [23]
3.5  Philosophy of Connectionism [40]
3.6  Foundations of Connectionism (more empirical) [10]
3.7  Connectionism & Structured Representation (Fodor/Pylyshyn) [10]
3.8  Foundations of AI (somewhat empirical) [14]
3.9  Computation and Semantics [12]
3.10 The Frame Problem  [10]
3.11 Analog and Digital Processing [5]
3.12 Levels of Analysis (Marr, etc) [7]
3.13 Philosophy of AI, Misc [15]

4.   Miscellaneous Topics [142]

4.1  Colour, General [15]
4.2  Colour Incompatibilities [6]
4.3  Split Brains [11]
4.4  Personal Identity (tiny selection) [7]
4.5  Pain and Pleasure [13]
4.6  Dreaming [9]
4.7  Phenomenal Qualities and the Sorites Paradox [7]
4.8  Mental Images (Pylyshyn, Kosslyn) [21]
4.9  Sensation and Perception, Misc [8]
4.10 Emotions, etc [6]
4.11 Free Will (tiny selection) [7]
4.12 Animal Cognition [7]