On Necessity of Awareness of Regular Folks!

Shahriar Zand-Biglari szand at cs.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 19 12:32:26 EST 1990

Apparently, the sexist/prejudice trend is not going to
stop their exploitation of the connectionist network.
Here is another that just came up:

        When the meaning of every joke
        Is perceived as a sexist poke
        The problem may lie
        In the reader's own eye
        That they can't laugh like regular folk

Such statements, even if not consciously and intentionally
brought up, only reflects the serious social unawareness of
the "regular folks" in our scientific community. And yet
another evidence on how education and degree does not
provide the members of our community with a progressive
culture, appropriate for our time.

I very much appreciate the sharp eyes of those like Peggy,
which could see the prejudice behind the sexist poetry.
Regular folks, male (as myself) or female, better be aware
of such sexist remarks and feel sorrow for their existence
in our time that to laugh.

Shar Zand-Biglari
Department of Computer Sciences
University of Texas at Austin