constructive algorithms

aboulang@BBN.COM aboulang at BBN.COM
Thu Nov 8 13:55:58 EST 1990

   From: john moody <moody-john at cs.yale.edu>
   Full-Name: john moody
   Date: Wed, 7 Nov 90 12:34:22 EST

   Furthermore, an impressive new algorithm for generating tree-structured
   polynomial networks will be presented as an invited talk at NIPS*90 in
   three weeks.  The algorithm called MARS (Multivariate Adaptive Regression
   Splines) was developed by Jerome Friedman, Chairman of the Stanford
   Statistics Department. I believe that a paper on the algorithm is about
   to appear in one of the statistics journals. Professor Friedman's email
   address is jhf at playfair.stanford.edu.

For those of you who can't make it to NIPS (me), or can't wait to find
out about MARS (me), or would like to study-up on MARS before the
meeting, or even would like to play with it, here are some references
from the sci.math.stat newsgroup and how to get MARS code from statlib: